Hans Harder's picture

Any thoughts about replacing MySql with MariaDB in the future ?

Hans

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Like many others in the open source community we're taking a conservative wait and see approach with regards to MySQL alternatives such as MariaDB and Drizzle. I wouldn't rule out replacing MySQL in the future, but only after a clear successor has been established. We're going to follow Debian/Ubuntu's stance on phasing out MySQL for something else. It's not yet clear if/when that will happen.

PS: sorry for the late response. TKLBAM tapped us out last month!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Although TBH it does appear that Oracle are not a 'team' open source player so the future of MySQL as OSS may well be limited.

When Hans first posted this I had no idea what MariaDB was about and so didn't feel I had anything to add. Ironically I was only just reading about it the other day so when you revived the topic Liraz I though I may now have something to add (if only a little and perhaps underinformed). I know there are other options for SQL database such as PostgreSQL but MySQL seems like pretty much the most popular cross platform SQL database. And as a fork of MySQL (apparently forked by one of the main devs of MySQL?), MariaDB does seem an appealing option.

Hans Harder's picture

yeah, it find it also a bit of a strange name :)

It all depends a bit how Oracle will support/continue with MySQL and what kind of pressure they apply for getting people to move to the oracle database.

Its good to know that there is a dropin alternative maintained by one off the creators of MySQL, but I agree that this is maybe too soon...perhaps when it gets adopted by Ubuntu it will be a turning point.

QUOTE:  ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo un\2\1 is xg'`ol

Michael Graves's picture

Time has ticked past and perhaps now is the time to consider an appliance that leverages MariaDB over MySQL.

Jeremy Davis's picture

As it is in the final stages of testing ATM (with a stable release immanent).

As such, I expect that the TKL guys will follow Debian's lead on this one.

Although ultimately I think the writing is on the wall. First OpenSUSE and Fedora (and I assume CentOS by implication) and more recently Arch and Slackware... it looks like the hegemony of MySQL being 'the' default database are numbered...!

Add new comment