JasonWard's picture

Hi,

Thanks for the time and effort you guys have invested, it's paid off remarkably well and the apps I've downloaded I love and am so grateful that they "just work".

I do have a couple of suggestions on the "just work" front, the first being that the LVM install option is highlighted as the preffered solution, or better still you don't offer that screen at all to users but an alternative screen

1. let Turnkey configure your HD (all existing data will be lost)

2. Advanced

Default to 1, and only go to the previous screen if 2 is selected.

Second, any chance of you guys doing something like what the http://www.amahi.org guys are doing?  Or perhaps working together?  I see the two ideas as quite complimentary, but for me Amahi is a bit of a miss because of their use of Fedora rather than Ubuntu/Debian (although they've stated they want to get an Ubuntu version up and running http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Ubuntu but are struggling for Ubuntu/Debian expertise) and because their distro doesn't want to work with my hardware.  I just think there is a lot of synergy between Amahi and Turnkey in terms of ease of use, and in the large overlap of appliances etc, although technology wise there maybe some distance.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I think it's a great idea, sort of like a default mode (whick is basically the sasme as clicking through yes, yes, ok, etc) and an advanced mode where you can customise things.

As for your suggestion, whilst I can see the similarities, I think the 2 projects are coming from different angles with slightly different aims. Ultimately they are both trying to make free Linux stuff more accessable, but I think TKL are looking for a simlified modular virtualised server farm type setup, where individual aims are acheived by individual servers that can be migrated back and forth between the cloud and various hosts. Whereas Amahi seem to be more aimed at instll to bare metal and working towards an all-in-one type solution (more like eBox) that is basically designed to be installed to a single hardware server.

Why not install a hypervisor OS (ProxmoxVE is my favourite) to your hardware and then install appliances as VMs?

Add new comment