Sabre Goldman's picture

Update: TKLPatch for Omeka 1.3.1 is now complete with the help of Rik Goldman. Though I needed lots of support still, I was more confident and independent with this build.  Rik did his first proper inithook using Alon and Adrian's models.  I have posted the patch, the patched ISO, and the derivitive virtual machines at http://9while9.com .

Comments, suggestions, concerns, and encouragement are welcomed and appreciated.

Previous:  I plan to develop a TKLPatch of TurnKey LAMP 11.0 (Lucid) to produce an Omeka 1.3. appliance.  Omeka is a free, flexible, extensible, open source, web-publishing platform for the display of exhibits by libraries, museums, archives and other scholary collections.  Build notes will follow this post and the patch should be completed by 1/23/11.  I am being guided in this endeavor by Rik Goldman.  I have posted my intent and shared the build notes to the Omeka forums.

Forum: 
Sabre Goldman's picture

Given an installation of TurnKey LAMP 11.0 (Lucid) with root as username, root password, and mysql root password - log in to the web shell, through ssh, or by quitting the confonsole interface.

pwd

From there, install and configure Omeka...

Enable Mod_Rewrite

a2enmod rewrite
service apache2 restart

Install Imagemagick

apt-get update
apt-get install -y imagemagick

Download Omeka

wget http://omeka.org/files/omeka-1.3.zip

Extract to /var/www/omeka

unzip -d /var/www omeka-1.3.zip
mv /var/www/omeka-1.3 /var/www/omeka

Clean

rm omeka-1.3.zip

Change Ownership

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/omeka

Configure Database

Get to mysql prompt:

mysql -u root -proot

The following is to be entered at the mysql prompt:

CREATE USER 'omeka'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'omeka';
CREATE DATABASE omeka;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON omeka.* TO 'omeka'@'localhost';
exit

Edit db.ini

vim /var/www/omeka/db.ini

For 'host' enter 'localhost'; for 'name', 'username', and 'password' put 'omeka'.

Configure Confconsole

vim /etc/confconsole/services.txt

Conclusion

Configure instance from the browser. Find out where to browse to:

confconsole

Browse to your-ip-address/omeka.

Sabre Goldman

Liraz Siri's picture

To clear the mystery, your post seems to have accidentally got put into the moderation queue by the spam filter. As far as I can tell this is the first time this has happened to a legitimate post. In any case, fear not, worst case scenario (as you can see) forum topic posts never get deleted.
Sabre Goldman's picture

I thought I was going crazy.  Glad to have that cleared up.

Sabre Goldman

L. Arnold's picture

So I understand that pictures and documents of the Museums Holdings can be showcased and cataloged this way.  Do the systems talk to each other so they know what each other has?

Keep us updated on final builds!

Add new comment