OK, I needed a web-based file sharing solution for in real life. I was looking for a dropbox solution, as discussed in other threads, but I found myself very happy with ajaxplorer. I've attached a patch, completed in collaboration with James Domchick and David Horn at Chelsea Schoool; the patch is intended for TKL LAMP.

Here's the conf:

#! /bin/bash -ex
####Set Hostname
HOSTNAME=ajaxplorer
echo $HOSTNAME > /etc/hostname
sed -i "s|127.0.1.1 \(.*\)|127.0.1.1 $HOSTNAME|" /etc/hostname
#Get Ajaxplorer
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ajaxplorer/ajaxplorer/stable-ch...
#Unzip and move Ajaxplorer
unzip ./ajaxplorer-core-4.0.4
mv ajaxplorer-core-4.0.4 /var/www/ajaxplorer
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/ajaxplorer
a2enmod ssl
####Install from Repos
apt-get update
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -y \
-o DPkg::Options::=--force-confdef \
-o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold \
install php5-gd php5-cli
a2ensite default-ssl
service apache2 reload

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks Rik. I've been wanting to test this but never got around to installing. This patch will certainly make it easier.

Out of interest, how does it compare to eXtplorer (as installed by default in the fileserver appliance). A few have suggested that it should be used to replace eXtplorer in the next TKL version. Any thoughts?

Alon Swartz's picture

I've been evaluting AjaXplorer to replace eXtplorer in the upcoming 12.0 release, and I really like it. It took a while to figure out how to configure multi authentication (serial and samba), as well as repositories for "storage" and the users home directory and the apropriate default role.

Everything works really nicely, except for a bug that I reported, which doesn't allow write access to the user's home directory (though everything works for subfolders).

Hopefully we'll get a patch that fixes the issue before the release...

Alon Swartz's picture

Good news. We have a workaround for the issue I mentioned, so it looks like we're moving to AjaXplorer...

Drew Ruggles's picture

Crikey I just spent a couple hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my configuration with Ajaxplorer when I saw this. What's the workaround?

I have it set up to share a Documents folder on a host and for the life of me, can't figure out how the permissions work. Where's the "Ajaxplorer" users on my TKL server? I get the sense it's a permissions issue, and I've found it very difficult to follow the ESL documentation.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Drew

Drew Ruggles's picture

Great... Now I'm stuck with an XML parse error, and don't know what to do, next:

<tree>
  <message type="ERROR">
    Cannot create recycle bin folder. Please check repository configuration or that your folder is writeable!
  </message>
</tree>

Jeremy Davis's picture

I got the impression that the workaround to the issue was already included in TKL v12. I haven't ever used Ajaxplorer so I don't really know. The old eXtplorer used to just use the webserver account (i.e. www-data) but I don't think Ajaxplorer does that (because that was part of the reason why eXtploere was limited.

My suspicion would be that it uses Samba accounts... But I'm only basing that on a guess...

Perhaps you could point to the docs that you are struggling with?

Also the 'XML parse error' definately sounds like permissions to me...

L. Arnold's picture

This is RE Squeeze 12, Fileserver.

I am striking out with AjaXplorer getting a user to be able to add either a folder or a file.

I've played around with php.ini for CGI and Client folders

also the Settings within AjaXploer ADMIN

I even changed the Ownership from Root to www-data:www-data

No luck.  Any thoughts?

I suppose there's all kinds of minds. This particular mind I couldn't get to interface with eXtplorer. When that happens, I tend to look to documentation and a supportive community for guidance. Finding very little documentation and a lack feedback channels for eXtplorer, I have to admit I stopped trying. Wading through a difficult interface I can and do live find with. But those other ingredients are so integral to me.

That being said, I haven't had any difficulty with Ajaxplorer; so, I can't speak to the important stuff, the community and the documentation :)

On my end, I appreciate the polish and intuitiveness of ajaxplorer.

Alex Bassett's picture

Thanks for this Rik I have been looking for something like this so that i can set up a family photo cauldron , where all my family members can drop photo's and video's and pick up ones from other family members.

Now all that is needed for them is an ip address  username and password which is the next thing to set-up.

Jeremy Davis's picture

And as such the config for that is not relevant. AFAIK in the Fileserver appliance AjaxExplorer runs under Apache. phpMyAdmin is served by Apache too so you could look at how that is done in the LAMP appliance (or one of the other appliances that includes phpMyAdmin).

However I have done it before with a patch I created. I'm not sure whether it's necessarily the best way to do it but here's what I did:

Enable mod-rewrite:

a2enmod rewrite

And add this to the .htaccess

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

That's a generic way of doing it, so I'm sure you could replace the 'https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}' with 'https://<full-url-to-ajaxexplorer>'.

I have read that ideally it is preferable to put config in the site config (in /etc/apache2/site-available/site-name) rather than in an .htaccess file (when you have full admin rights to the server. But the above worked for me...

Jeremy Davis's picture

This patch could help but it would depend on many factors. Also it is quite old so I'm sure you'd probably want (perhaps even need) to tweak a fair bit of stuff internally.

If you use the TurnKey Fileserver appliance it has Ajaxplorer pre-installed. If that isn't going to work for you then I suggest that you have a bit (more) of a google (I'm guessing that's what lead you here...?!)

Add new comment