Airtime looks like a fanstastic open source radio-broadcast automation server. It is browser based and seems to offer a complete feature set for radio programming and automation. I worked in radio long before the advent of mp3s and automation; so, from where I stand the best feature is its documentation.

Here's the homepage for the software at Sourcefabric: http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/

There are several pages of installation documentation intended for any level user/administrator. Here's the "automated" installation documentation: http://en.flossmanuals.net/airtime-en-2-0/automated-installation/

The patch seems ready for testing. Apply to TurnKey LAPP for ready to go Airtime instance. Devs set it up for username: admin and password: admin initially. This can be easily configured on first boot with an inithook using bash.

Documentation for using Airtime is available at its home.

Forum: 

here. Trying to make sense of it.

Jeremy Davis's picture

If you add the file as it should be to the overlay then the installation should leave it alone and should work OOTB.

Configuring TZ-data on first boot will be essential for this appliance. I'll add that an inithook to configure icecast2 from default security parameters might be necessary.

Jeremy Davis's picture

It's been a little while since I've played with firstboot scripts, but is should be pretty easy to create one to (re)configure tzdata. Icecast2 may be marginally harder but not too big a deal...

On a running system. So, I reckon I should post the patch when I next have the chance.

This takes care of it, as long as I start apache2 and postgres afterwards:

hostname -F /etc/hostname

..immediately after defining the hostname.

That gets me to airtime-check-system, the final piece of the build. It fails with this now:

*** Verifying your system environment, running airtime-check-system ***
AIRTIME_STATUS_URL             = http://localhost/api/status/format/json/api_key/%%api_key%%
AIRTIME_SERVER_RESPONDING      = OK
KERNEL_VERSION                 = 2.6.32-5-686
MACHINE_ARCHITECTURE           = i686
TOTAL_MEMORY_MBYTES            = 1034472
TOTAL_SWAP_MBYTES              = UNKNOWN
AIRTIME_VERSION                = 2.0.3
OS                             = Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS i686
CPU                            = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz
WEB_SERVER                     = Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
PLAYOUT_ENGINE_PROCESS_ID      = 5025
PLAYOUT_ENGINE_RUNNING_SECONDS = 12
PLAYOUT_ENGINE_MEM_PERC        = 0.9%
PLAYOUT_ENGINE_CPU_PERC        = 0.0%
LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = 5027
LIQUIDSOAP_RUNNING_SECONDS     = 12
LIQUIDSOAP_MEM_PERC            = 1.8%
LIQUIDSOAP_CPU_PERC            = 9.8%
MEDIA_MONITOR_PROCESS_ID       = FAILED
MEDIA_MONITOR_RUNNING_SECONDS  = -1
MEDIA_MONITOR_MEM_PERC         = 0%
MEDIA_MONITOR_CPU_PERC         = 0%
RABBITMQ_PROCESS_ID            = 4595
RABBITMQ_RUNNING_SECONDS       = 11
RABBITMQ_MEM_PERC              = 1.1%
RABBITMQ_CPU_PERC              = 0.0%

I assume this is monit not starting: "+ /etc/init.d/monit start
Starting daemon monitor: monit won't be started/stopped unless it it's configured please configure monit and then edit /etc/default/monit and set the "startup" variable to 1 in order to allow
    monit to start"

So, an overlay.

Very challenging until it wasn't anymore. Very rewarding to be able to post a patch that can be applied to produce a ready to rip Airtime server.

Add new comment