mbottor's picture

I am fairly new to Turnkey and I have one question. 

How do I get apache to stop replacing the Internet name www.mysite.com with the IP address.

I thought I could modify the httpd.conf file, but there is nothing in it, so I asume this is done some place else. Or maybe something I can do in webmin? 

Be cause of various reasons, DNS is external to this server. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction? 

Thank you, 

Mark 

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

But Debian/Ubuntu (TKL v12 is based on Debian Squeeze) do things a little differently. IMO it is laid out a lot more logically and nicer, but then again I'm used to the Debian/Ubuntu way and am probably biased...

In Debian/Ubuntu it is split up into:

• main conf file: /etc/apache2/apache.conf
  • virtual host/site files: /etc/apache2/sites-available/
  • port config: /etc/apache2/ports.conf

However as you noticed the httpd.conf file still exists and it is read (have a look in apache.conf) so anything in there will still be applied, however other config info elsewhere may override it. So when using Debian I think it's better to do things the Debian way...

Anyway, you should find what you are looking for in the virtual host file. By default that is /etc/apache2/sites-available/default. Personally I would either back that orig file up before you change it, or create a new one (and then disable the default site and enable your new one.

To just back it up:

cp /etc/apache2/sites-available/default /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.backup

and then edit it

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

or to create a whole new site, copy the default to a new site, disable it and enable the new site:

cp /etc/apache2/sites-available/default /etc/apache2/sites-available/new-site
a2dissite default
a2ensite new-site

and then edit your new site

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/new-site

IIRC it should be as simple as removing the wildcard (*) and replacing it with your domain name.

Remember that'll you'll need to restart Apache for the config to be applied:

service apache2 restart

Add new comment