rgreen's picture

Hi All,

I have some very basic questions on upgrading an appliance.  I am running on the Lamp appliance Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid and it's time to upgrade to newest.  I have no issue with going to Debian.

Sorry to say, I love you guys but the instructions are very cryptic.

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/appliance-upgrade

says

"see the documentation for details."  Ok,  right there would be a good place to link to the documentation area that refers to this.  

I did follow the advice of using TKLBAM to migrate data. 

1. Launched a fresh new LAMP server and had the debian latest running

2. Restored my latest backup and the server reverted back to the old Ubuntu.

I'm confused...

Thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Firstly, I have just updated that page you referred to (there was a link to the TKLBAM docs on the line above - but I made it clearer, with another link). Thanks for the feedback there...

But it should definitely not do that! (As you probably guessed...)

Unfortunately I don't have a V11.x appliance (the one you refer to - based on Ubuntu 10.04) to test on, but I honestly can't see how it could that...!?

Are you sure you aren't accidentally still accessing the old appliance?

rgreen's picture

Thanks Jeremy.

Definitely odd behavior.  So I did the process again.

1. sparked new lamp and was greeted by 
Linux lamp 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64
Welcome to Lamp, TurnKey Linux 13.0 / Debian 7.2 Wheezy

2. Restored last backup made on March 1st via tklbam

3. finished restore and rebooted instance in console

4. tried to login via ssh/putty and "Network error: connection refused". triple checked keypair

5. was able to get into webmin and the distro display on first screen was "Webmin 1.630 on lamp (Ubuntu Linux 10.04.1)"

6. was able to use command line within webmin to display distro using cat /proc/version 

Linux version 3.2.0-4-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1

suggestions?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Out of curiosity, why don't you just manually migrate your data...? The contents of /var/www should pretty much do it, plus probably the Apache sites-available files (in /etc/apache2/sites-available/)

My suspicion is that the old version of TKLBAM in v11.x may be an issue... And the new version isn't officially supported in Ubuntu anymore (it should work but you'll need to build it and dependencies from source).

rgreen's picture

We'll migrate manually.  We have some complicated logical volumes configurations/ user accounts on webmin.  hopefully the webmin users can be migrated.  Nothing is simple in life! thanks

Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm sure that you could play around with TKLBAM and get it to work fine. But I was just thinking that it might be quicker and easier to just do it manually on a LAMP server... Perhaps with your setup not? TKLBAM won't include your volume config anyway (otherwise it wouldn't be able to migrate between bare metal, local VM and AWS, etc).

Another thought is that you could try migrating to Squeeze first (i.e. TKL v12.1), update TKLBAM (AFAIK the latest v1.4 is in the TKL repo) and then take a new backup and migrate that to v13.0? I don't recall people having issues migrating from v11.x to v12.x when v12.0 was released...

FWIW if you go manual, then IIRC Webmin on TKL uses PAM users by default, although I could be wrong... By migrating the /etc/webmin folder you should get all the Webmin specifics - although IIRC there was a (sort of) bug in Webmin back then and it was storing all it's logs and cache in /etc/webmin too (which you could exclude from your migration making things a bit quicker/smaller).

Sorry not very helpful really am I!?

Add new comment