gregor_v's picture

Hello!

I have now my turnkey mediawiki installation and I now want to add a forum too, because as a discussion platform, there is a classic forum still the best...

My question is, How to add an additional website by using webmin apache virtual server?!

Thanks in Advance

Forum: 
leebase's picture

You add a new website the same way you add a new website ;) Once you have your appliance up -- you have an ubuntu linux system with whatever software that comes with your appliance.

From that point on, you can go to any of those websites to find out "how do I do xyz". If you want to add abilities to media wiki -- you can read up on the media wiki site.

If you have forum software you want to install -- then go to that forum software's website and read the install docs.

Not meaning to reply with the usual RTFM (read the fine manual) -- but I do want to point out that you haven't entered the "turnkey linux" world, but the "ubuntu linux" world. And the "media wiki" world. etc.

Lee

Alon Swartz's picture

Glad to hear your MediaWiki appliance is up and running.

As Lee mentioned, you can now manually install any forum software you desire, and configure the appliance accordingly.

If you have any specific questions, we'll try and help as best we can, but probably the easiest way to get a forum up and running is to use the recently released TurnKey phpBB appliance.
gregor_v's picture

I just saw that there is a new turnkey appliance... I will test it on a seperate hdd. But would it be possible to install both (turnkey mediawiki and phpBB) as a virtualserver on one server?? would it be difficult?? how is it about linking between?

Better would be if it would be possible to install the basic server and then upgrade the services you need, or something in this way...
leebase's picture

No matter if you run separate appliances or install phpBB in your midiawiki appliance -- they will not be automatically integrated (user accounts, rights and such). There is at least one forum extenstion (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AWC%27s_Forum) there may be others.

You have a linux with mediawiki appliance up and running. That's what virtual appliances will give you. By the time you are wanting to customize -- the best place is the Ubuntu or Mediawiki forums (in your case). Here's a list of the many Mediawiki extensions: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_Matrix

If you don't need the forum and wiki integrated (separate users and rights) -- then I'd recommend using separate appliances anyway as it saves you the hassle of learning how to install. Also, it leaves you with the flexibility to put the appliances on different computers.

Lee

gregor_v's picture

After trying to install phpbb on my mediawiki (not successful btw) i just installed the AWC extension. And it seems to bee quite ok and worked very easy!! I would recommend to install it as standard!
Only one Problem I have left: The FCK editor... but therefore I will open a seperate article.
Alon Swartz's picture

I was unaware of AWC, it looks interesting and will definately take a closer look when we release an upgrade to mediawiki to get it installed and configured by default. I created a blueprint in launchpad, you can subscribe to it to get updates...

What issues are you having with FCKeditor? It should work out-of-the-box. Are the issues with the AWC extension of in general?
AWC's picture

Hello all...
Im the dev behind the AWC Mediawiki Forum Extension.
Just recently i was searching for an applacation for my linux box and came across the TurnKey site. After looking around and discovering that my extension was included in one of the packages... it brought a smile to my face.
- Thanks TurnKey Devs !

If anyone has any questions, problems or suggestions about the forum extension, feel free to contact me.

_

Somewhat related to this thread, wondering if the following is possible:

I would like to be able run just one VM with the LAMP stack for Joomla, PHPBB, Mantis.  All use the lamp stack.  Instead of using 3 VM's I would like to consolidate the maint and support.  I like the ability to get updates somewhat automated with your stack for the various applications.  I rather not update the PHP, MySQL as often.  Is there a way to add PHPBB, Mantis to my joomla with the apt-get that would add to the Webadmin and let me get subsequent application security patches?

CMIIW but TKL is Ubuntu, so you can add anything into it

TKL just define some starting point for you, tkl don't define your end point.

In the other hand ... there is tklPatch

For me , tklPatch is for a tool to help people who want to help other.

I think in the future tkl patch will also have a "Requirement Check", and at this point ... TKL's website will no longer provide so many ISO, but so many "Patch" to download. And there also will be "Meta Patch".

That is, i.e there will be no TKL-LAMP anymore but :

- tklCore

+ patch_apache

+ patch_mysql

+ patch_php

+++ patch_lamp (meta-patch That require 3 other patches above)

That is How ebox-platform goes, unless that I'm not familiar yet on adding things to ebox-platform

CMIIW

-bino-

Stas Grishin's picture

I was thinking about that too for the past week, although I still like having ISOs/VMs available for download for more popular appliances just to make things easier.

The first problem I see is how to make sure patch_A does not overwrite changes made by patch_B, etc.

For example, patch_apache wants to add the default URL to the usage.txt file for confconsole, but then you install patch_phpMyAdmin which also wants to add its own URL.

I guess on one hand, the mix-n-match is nice, on the other, I like the idea of keeping things separated - that's why I use these appliances.

Basically, there needs to be a balance so developers can be effective. Developers should not be writing small patches for every little detail, while patches should be able to co-exist without overwriting one another.

I was thinking more like the application stack of things.  Joomla, PHPBB, Mantis.

Liraz Siri's picture

TurnKey is all about simplicity and ease of use. We're thinking of patches mainly as a good way to get the community more involved in the development process and break the labor bottleneck. A good tklpatch makes adding a new appliance to the library 10X easier and allows the project to get much more done. So our current thinking is that good patches would constantly get merged with the the library as new appliances and new features to existing appliances.

Because of this most patches should have a limited lifetime on their own. Also we want users to be able to enjoy a consistent high-quality experience and unfortunately when you start to mix and match patches you add a ton of complexity and the result is difficult to predict.

User that want adventure are free to do that of course, but we think most of users want things to just work.

What we may do in the future is add some features to the web site to make keeping track of patches easier. That might be a new section, or maybe a tagging system, or a page in the development wiki. It's still a bit early to do that right now. Let's exhaust what we can do with the current tools and get more people involved first.

Add new comment