adt2's picture

Let me start by saying a big thanks first to the Turnkey Linux folks - this is just an awesome piece of free software. Truly. I tried for months to get a working installation of MediaWiki on my home server, with no luck. Then I found TKMediaWiki, and about 10 minutes later, I was up and running. Cool beans.

Big thanks second goes to the other posters on this forum, who have helped me solve several issues very quickly. I appreciate the guidance.

On to my current issue: I cannot figure out how to alter the MediaWiki configuration settings. I know not to edit "DefaultSettings.php," but to copy the appropriate line to "LocalSettings.php" instead and change the variable there. However, when I do that (at least with the site name, which is the only thing I've tried so far), nothing happens.

Anybody have any pointers? I'm sure it's something stupid, but I'm running out of clever ideas.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

As mentioned in the release notes, specifying the site name is done in /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php - $wgSitename variable.

You should be updating the variable, and not adding it to the configuration.

Note: There is no need to restart the webserver as the change should take effect immediately (just refresh your browser).
adt2's picture

Okay, thanks - that fixed it. I was looking in the wrong mediawiki folder. Next question: I am trying to alter the navigation menu on the top left side of the site (I'm using the default skin). The MediaWiki site says to edit "MediaWiki:Sidebar" to do this, but that's not working. When I edit "WikiName:Sidebar", all I get is a regular wiki page. How can I add/edit the navigation menu to display my own custom links? As usual, thanks in advance for your help.

Add new comment