Mike Beard's picture

Hi everyone.

I'm new to doing web programming and find some of it confusing.  I've downloaded the Tomcat appliance and was able to get that going and have been able to use the webserver and all that without a problem.  Kudos to you guys!  This is good stuff.

When I have tried to get Axis going with it though, I've stumbled all over myself.  On a test server at work (a Sun Unix box) I was able to get it installed and to the point where the happyaxis.jsp was working without a problem.  Armed with a little knowledge, I didn't think this would be where I stumbled with this.

I've tried putting the axis directory (as directed in the install instructions) in about every Tomcat directory I can find, (something like /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps) and then reset/tested the server, which is what I did on the Sun server (though there, I KNEW which directory was the webapps directory for certain).  The only thing is that I can't get it to work in any of the locations.   Stopping and restarting the server didn't seem to help.

I haven't added or changed anything in the Apache or Tomcat configurations, so it might be that I need to add/change a configuration or something else like that.

Which directory is the Tomcat webapps directory where apps should live?  I'm assumming that it's the /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps directory, but could be totally wrong.   I looked around but didn't find much that would help me figure this out -- could be right in front of me, but don't know enough yet to know it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Please assume that I know very little about web configuration and such.  Hopefully it something simple and totally obvious to someone who knows what they're doing.  Sorry about such a long post to ask a few questions.

Thanks,
Mike

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

The current tomcat appliance includes apache, which proxies/loadbalances back requests to tomcat according to mod_jk.conf (/etc/tomcat5.5/mod_jk.conf). So chances are all you have to do is configure mod_jk to include axis and you should be good to go.

BTW, our upcoming release will also feature a vanilla tomcat appliance without apache, which might be more of what you are used to.

Hope this helps.

Add new comment