Jake Roufa's picture

I just downloaded the Turnkey LAMP VM image and installed it in my VirtualBox. When it starts up, Apache isn't running so I only have access to the shell. When I try to start Apache using "/etc/init.d/apache2 start" it failed with the message "(30) Read-only file syste: apache2: could not open error log file".

Any ideas on what I need to do?

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

There seems to be an issue with using the supplied VMDK file from the VM build directly. It's been reported that converting the appliance using VMWare's OVF conversion tool works. I'm investigating the issue and will update the VM builds as soon as it's fixed.
Jake Roufa's picture

Thanks for the quick response! Meanwhile, I guess I'll just be using the ISO. This issue isn't critical for me because I'm just setting up a test bed at the moment and not using this on my production server. However, for someone who wants to use this in a production environment, this would be a dealbreaker!

Please let me know when you have the new VM build up, as I would like to help you test this if you don't mind!

Liraz Siri's picture

I think I nailed it. See this post for details. I'd love for you to confirm that we solved your problem. Cheers

Jake Roufa's picture

Thanks so much Liraz! It seems to be working fine so far. When the machine booted up there were no error messages in DMESG, Apache loaded fine (albeit without an FQDN because I don't have one registered - like I said, just a dev server on my personal box) and RSA keys were generated. I don't think this could have happened without write access being configured properly.

Again, many thanks for the quick response and quick fix!

Add new comment