Claudio Ceballos Paz's picture

Hello.

This is how I installed Ruby Enterprise Edition on my Rails Appliance. For more information, go to:

http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/

HOW-TO

1.- Go to your Turnkey Linux Appliance over SSH or Web SSH and isntall wget (or axel) so you can download the Ruby Enterprise Edition (REE) .deb installer on your box:

apt-get install wget

2.-  Download the .deb installer from the REE official web page (http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/download.html)

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/66164/ruby-enterprise_1.8.7-2009.10_i386.deb

3.- On your box type as root:

dpkg -i ruby-enterprise_1.8.7-2009.10-i386.deb

after this, you should be able to see the REE interpreter directly:

ruby -v

you should see:

ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i686-linux], MBARI 0x8770, Ruby Enterprise Edition 2009.10

4.- Then you need to recompile Phusion Passenger:

/usr/local/bin/passenger-install-apache2-module

Follow the on-screen instruccions. Turnkey linux already has all the dependencies so you don't need to install anything else.

5.- After compiling you need to change one line on the passenger configuration file :

nano /etc/apache2/conf.d/passenger

change:

PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby1.8

to

PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby

Save It.

6.- Finally you have to restart apache:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

That's It!!

Bye.

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Claudio, thanks for taking the time to put that down into writing. This is very useful. We can use your instructions to create a new page on the community documentation, and it makes creating a Ruby Enterprise appliance much easier. Many thanks!
Alon Swartz's picture

We have just released TKLPatch. If someone could create a patch for the above it would dramatically push this appliance forward.
krider2010's picture

Using the latest current rails appliance (as of July 2010) the details of this process are slightly different for step 5, not least because I had updated all the gems using

gem update --system
gem update

I needed to edit the passenger config file (/etc/apache2/conf.d/passenger) to have these lines (replace the similar ones already in the file)

LoadModule passenger_module /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.15/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
PassengerRoot /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.2.15
PassengerRuby /usr/local/bin/ruby

If there is a later version of passenger installed, edit the above version numbers accordingly.

I also had to edit config/environment.rb in the sample application to comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION as gem had updated rails to 2.3.8 (and the app was hardcoding that it required 2.3.4).  Obviously for any further app developed that is down to the developer...

Then apache restarted as per step 6 above.

Apologies, I don't have the expertise or time right now to work out how to include this via TKLPatch.

cmoman's picture

After

gem update

The pre existing passenger module not longer worked with the default ruby on rails install.

I needed to recompile passenger before modifying the passenger config file (/etc/apache2/conf.d/passenger).  The default ruby install then worked although the links to the Webmin etc were broken.

This 'How to' was really useful for my Fedena appliance

Add new comment