I have successfully downloaded installed the zimbra appliance on an old ibm t30 in my office here. I'm impressed it went sooo smooth.
Being kind of "old school" I want to ask you guys a few questions, because, my brain is just having a hard time getting my head around the appliance concept for zimbra? I’ve read the forums and just have a few gaps that I hope you can help me with. I’m sure these questions will benefit others as well. This may seem stupid to some people but this is where I am currently. If you could point me in the right direction I would really be appreciative. Thank you in advance.
Here is my situation:
1. I have a dell 1950 bare metal that I plan on using for an email server to replace or current Kerio mail solution for company email, <500 users. Licensing is becoming cost prohibitive and the zimbra community edition will be enough functionality for our small business.
For the appliance should I have installed on the bare metal box ubuntu 1st then put the appliance? Or just the appliance? What is the best practice? And if I just install the appliance can I install others on the same server as well? I’m missing something here conceptually how this all works together. I’m use to the model of installing a root operating system and managing everything inside that operating system. Conceptually I’m struggling with, is a virtual appliance a self contained server on my server? Or is it separate and isolated and need to be treated like a separate server even though its on the same hardware? Is anything shared?
You know what I’m asking?
2. Email is mission critical to a company. How does one manage the file system on the appliance. Is there a gui available to access manage the appliance. I can use ssh but that is painful. How about managing performance, etc.?
3. Once the appliance is installed can I hack up the code as need to customize the build? Is there anything that prevents me from doing customization to zimbra source code in the appliance after its installed?
4. Has anyone run zimbra using VirtualBox on a windows server? Lessons learned?
5. Is this really safe for production email? What are the downsides of using an appliance?
thanks again if you cna help.