sanjay d.'s picture

First, some kudos for an easy install.

Once I got the .iso for joomla appliance burned to a CD, it installed right away as it wrote over and old windows PC which had a corrupted windows install.

It found all the hardware, even say a usb thumb drive that was still plugged in.

Now for some reall newbie questions.  This is essentially my first linux install that I want to really use - though ideally without tinkering with it.  Also, my joomla knowledge is still beginner.

1. What is the equivalent of cpanel when using the joomla appliance on my home network?

2.  One goal is to backup my current hosted website, download the .tar file to this new appliance, install it and run it.  I'm not sure how to put files onto this appliance and where to put them.

3.  Is there some youtube or other howto videos?  Feel free to point me in the direction of written stuff.

Thanks again for putting together a package that installed so easily on the first try!

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

The closest equivalent to cPanel would be Webmin. cPanel may be easier to use if you're a newbie because it hides many of the details. If you're willing to experiment you can do most of that stuff from Webmin as well. For file management find a good FTP program that also supports SFTP. Most of them do.

Regarding backup and migration we're working on making this easier. Much easier. Users should be able to develop a web site locally and then just migrate it to an online server with zero work. That's something we're working on, but for now its a bit complex and what you need to do varies from appliance to appliance. You'll need to experiment, read tutorials, etc. There's a wealth of information out there. Remember any of the server stuff that applies to Ubuntu also applies to TurnKey.

sanjay d.'s picture

Thanks, and I've been reading up on a lot.  Apparrently cPanel is not open source...

During TKL install, I was only prompted for new passwords for the root of the appliance, and Mysql.  While trying to get into webmin (trying various wrong passwords) I got locked out.  I was able to log on as root and ls a few directories, but that's about the extent of my Linux so far.

1. Where is the (toplevel) website placed on the TKL filesystem?

2.  Can additional websites be installed and simultaneously used on the appliance by having a subdirectory off of the directory from #2 above?  Thus it would be accessed as http://192.168.1.99/newsite and http://192.168.1.99/newsite2

I think with knowing #2 and #3 that I could figure out how to zip - or tar - a recursive directory.  And then use ftp to move the sites around.  This has got to be the same need for nearly everyone who uses the TKL joomla appliance.

Sure, It would be great if users could have say 4 buttons on a web UI.  BackupLocalSite, Restore2LocalSite, DownloadSite, UploadSite.  That would be crazy valuable and easy, just like the original TKL install.  The part I'm a little worried about is that there would probably be some issues as to differing versions of the sub components on the remote server versus the local TKL server.

Liraz Siri's picture

For Joomla I think you're interested in /usr/share/joomla15.

But note that unlike in a web hosting service the concept of a fixed location web directory doesn't necessarily exist in all appliances. That's because we often install applications via the package management system and not from upstream tarball or zip files. Debian packages have different rules.

But that's OK because you can configure Apache to stitch together directories in different locations on the filesystem into arbitrary virtual web directory configurations. The only trouble is that can be confusing to novices...

sanjay d.'s picture

To ask the above question? (Nice that we can edit posts)

Liraz Siri's picture

Usually I would say that TurnKey is just Ubuntu under the hood and you can try also asking on the Ubuntu forums and such but in this case we packaged Joomla ourselves (because nobody else would) so the answer to your questions are somewhat specific to TurnKey Joomla.

OTOH, you could have determined the web root by examining the Apache configuration either directly or through webmin and there are many many people in many places who know about that.

Add new comment