Bill's picture

Hi,

New here, and haven't figured out the difference between the two download options for the Drupal Appliance, one labled 175 MB VM and the other 180 MB ISO.  They seem to have the same file name when downloaded, an ISO file. 

Also have attempted to burn an ISO file to a CD, but the burner K3b (on openSuse 11.1) reports that the disk check isn't the same as the original file.  I'm burning at 8x and 4x. 

Putting the two factors together raises the possibility of file corruption on the server.  Possible?  Haven't used GnuPG (only MD5) so have not verified file on TKL server.

Also not clear yet on how this CD, when burned from an ISO file, is to be used.  I'm assuming that my computer needs to be set up for VMs--on my openSuse machine I set up Xen to provide this service and create of multiple VMs, one of them from this CD.  Is that right?  Or does the Turnkey Drupal CD provide the virtualization?  Searching the forums and documentation didn't answer that question.

Hints appreciated.

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

First, there was a problem with the download link for Drupal6 which I just fixed. Thanks for reporting that.

You can install an ISO the bare metal if you have a spare computer. If you want to install to a virtual machine you can either deploy the VM build (easiest) or install the ISO inside like you would any other operating system. Check out the "appliance installation tutorial" in the documentation.

Bill's picture

I see the different file behind the link for the zip version of Drupal.   Downloaded both versions (ISO again) and still got an error on burning the CD:  the disk doesn't match the original file.  If I use the freshly burned CD to create a VM (with Xen, on openSuSE 11.1) there is an immediate error:  can't find a kernal on the disk.

I'm burning a CD image (not copying the .ISO file).  I've done this dozens of times for Linux distros, but they always had an MD5 checksum, not a .sig file (which I haven't yet mastered). 

I feel I'm missing something, a certain step somewhere.  Hints?

thanks.

Liraz Siri's picture

Documentation on how to verify the GPG signature:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/release-verification

I'm guessing there is probably a problem with your burner or the burn media. Xen should support installing directly from ISO file so try that. Also make sure you're installing TurnKey in HVM mode. TurnKey doesn't support Xen paravirtualization.

Finally, the VM build is a ZIP, not an ISO. I verified that just now. Maybe try clearing your cache?

Bill's picture

Paravirtualization is my problem.   On closer examination, Xen won't do full virtualization on my machine (openSuSE 11.1 on AMD Duron uP) because neither the OS nor the CPU supports full V (Xen says you need at least one of the two).  Thus, the Turnkey appliance approach isn't available to me.  My hunch is to go back to the manual install of the LAMP and Drupal components separately on the base OS/machine without virtualization. 

To check the burn process, I downloaded a fresh copy of the next OS version (oSuSE 11.2).  At 8x speed, it burned OK.   With same settings on K3b, then went to burn the ISO image of latest download of the Drupal appliance (turnkey-drupal6-2009.10-2-hardy-x86.iso) which again bombed:  "Written data in tack 1 differs from original."

Anybody need a set of coasters with holes in the center?

Marc Warne's picture

There are some kerenels for OpenSuSE that support Xen as a dom0, so you should be able to run Turnkey Linux as a domU.

Check out the Novell OpenSUSE "Xenified" Xen kernel forward-ported patches section at the Xen wiki for more information. We run their 2.6.29 kernel on our servers and it is rock solid. Turnkey Linux is certainly happy using this kernel for dom0 and domU purposes.

Add new comment