Luke's picture

I've installed the Domain Controller Appliance in a virtual box and I am having an a problem getting one of my smbmachines to have the right UID.  In the users and groups panel, the user scannerserver$ has a unix ID of 1003.  However, in the edit samba user panel for scannerserver$ it has an id of 4294967295.  I've confirmed these results with "cat /etc/passwrd" and "sudo pdbedit -L" respectively.  I think pdbedit will allow me to change the id to the correct number, but I can't figure out how.  So I have two questions:

1) Will this problem cause me issues down the road?

2) How can I change the user id in the samba database?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

But while you're waiting for someone more useful to come along, you could have a search on Ubuntu forums (under the hood TKL PDC is basically Ubuntu Server 8.04/Hardy with Samba installed from the repos). If you don't have much luck there, then a wider search using google (or similar) may be of help.

Luke's picture

I decided to ask the Samba mailing list.  But I thought I'd add an additional wrinkle.  To test my current configuration, I deleted the user scannerserver$ and unjoined that computer from the domain.  I then rejoined the that computer to the domain.  Now, I have a user scannerserver$ in the samba database, but it is not listed as a Unix user. 

Any idea what could be causing this?

Luke's picture

I figured out that when I join the windows client with it's computer name written in capital's I get a Unix user and a Samba user like I should.  I'm pretty certain that this is a bug and will file a bug report shortly.

Jeremy Davis's picture

It will be based on Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid so has a much newer version of Samba (3.4.x from memory vs 3.0.x in the current appliance). That may or may not fix the problem, but perhaps wait and test with the new one when its out, before logging a bug.

The TKL devs don't like to give anticipated release dates (cause it often leads to frustration and disapointment if/when they get pushed back) but Alon has mentioned elsewhere on the forums that they shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks away.

Add new comment