craftyguy's picture

I've installed both the wordpress and torrent appliances, however I am not able to log in to the web interface for either one using the password I supplied during setup. I've tries usernames 'root' and 'admin', blank password, and the password I supplied during install.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

The v2009.10-2 appliances generally had default user/password preset, details should be available from the relevant appliance page (WordPress, Torrent Server - scroll down, should be just above the screenshots). The v11.0RC should use these same defaults.

But from the stable v11.0 release there are no more default passwords, they are set on first boot. If you are using the (still as yet officially announced) v11.0 then try resetting the passwords by running the firstboot inithooks again. and as a general rule try to avoid special chacters because they sometimes cause problems.

craftyguy's picture

I'm using v11 RC (there was no link to download stable 11 as of yesterday?)

try resetting the passwords by running the firstboot inithooks again

I cannot log into the appliance, period. Not through SSH, web interface, anything. The only way I can try a new password is by reinstalling the appliance?

and as a general rule try to avoid special chacters because they sometimes cause problems.

This drastically reduces how secure the appliance is, when you are forced to use 'weak' passwords that do not support special characters. Is there any plan to support special characters?

Jeremy Davis's picture

The appliance links have been updated to the v11.0 release (despite the fact that they haven't yet been officially announced).

It may be worth trying to use more complex passwords on the new appliances (passwords go in on first boot now instead of install) and see how it goes. For clarity special characters work in appliances and always have, its just that some people had issues with them if they initially set passwords with special characters. Once installed and setup the user password (for Webmin, SSH, SFTP etc) can then be changed to anything you like via the command line.

I'm not 100% sure why that was, something to do with keyboard mapping on install.

craftyguy's picture

its just that some people had issues with them if they initially set passwords with special characters

This is still an issue with v11 stable, setting a password initially with special characters does not work at all. However I was able to reset it without reinstalling by changing ro to rw init=/bin/bash in grub menu (single user mode does not work, since it prompts for root password)

It might be worth adding some big shiny notice to new users that special character passwords do not work initially, to save others the headache.

EDIT: unfortunately setting the webui password to include special characters does not work either, and since 'admin' is not a unix user (and i'm not familiar with how turnkey saves the pass for that user..), another reinstall of this appliance is in order...

Jeremy Davis's picture

I have heard of some people having similar problems with VM environments (I think ESX/ESXi/vSphere)?

Also when you say 'webui' what exactly are you referring to? Different TKL appliances contain different WebUIs, Webmin (accessed via https://<ip_or_hostname>:12321/) is common to all and by default uses the root user account credentials, it should work with whatever password root is regardless of whther it has special chars or not. If that is not the case it'd be good to know so we can work out whether this is an upstream bug or something specific to TKL.

I am unfamilar with the WebUI for the torrent server appliance (although I have dabbled briefly) and I'm not sure what WebUI the WP appliance has. It is possible that it is an upstream limitation. If you could please be more specific about the WebUI you are referring to and which characters in particular it struggles with, again we can start to determine where the problem lays. And as you suggest documentation of these sort of issues needs to be made somewhere obvious.

Alon Swartz's picture

AFAIK the bugs relating to special characters in passwords have been fixed in 11.0. Please post back if you can confirm otherwise.

Jedmeister raises a good point regarding keyboard mapping which wasn't addressed in 11.0. If anyone can reproduce the issue and offer a solution it will be more than welcome.

BTW, you could reset the root password by booting into single user mode.

Daniel Gross's picture

I'm not able to SFTP into any of three V11 machines I built today. Everything else appears to work. This thread has me thinking it could be that the root password I specified starts with "$"

I am installing on an ESXi4.0 as a vm. root has access elsewhere, and PW is correct there - only using Filezilla to any of these machines.

Or, did I bork something else up? (I am admittedly n00b to Linux - my experience with Unix was in college 20+ years ago. So please be kind & speak slowly. ;)

Alon Swartz's picture

Quick update regarding 11.0.

Since there has been some talk on the issue, I've done a lot of testing and can verify that certain special characters will cause a bug in the way the root password is set on firstboot. Additionally, the following appliances are also affected by a similar bug in their password setting code: bugzilla, domain-controller, ejabberd, torrentserver, vtiger.

The current workaround (yes, I know it kinda sucks) is to not use special characters on firstboot. Once the system has booted you are free to change the passwords.

We consider this a serious bug that somehow slipped through our testing, so we will be patching all appliances and re-releasing them.

Regarding pre-seeding via the Hub, it's more complicated but we will fix that too and upload new AMI's. In the meantime we've updated the Hub to not accept special characters until the new AMI's are available.

Sorry about this folks, and thanks to everyone who reported it.

Daniel Gross's picture

I have the same bug on Wordpress, Moodle & Mediawiki - so it may just be universal.

What defines "special characters?" Would that include numbers, or just things like $, %, &, etc...?

The rest of the appliance seems to work fine - I guess I'm not too worried about reinstalling again because of this bug if I pick a password "compliant" enough.

I'm using these appliances in an ESXi environment in a K12 school district. We lack the kind of funding & engineering to be successful at this installing "the other way." I've never managed to make my Wordpress 3.0 multisite work properly on IIS due to permission errors. Building & maintaining our own Moodle install is beyond what we have resources for.

So thank you for your efforts. Its a good deed that goes beyond "saving me work" and positively affects about 1000 students and teachers who otherwise wouldn't have this opportunity.

Alon Swartz's picture

The setting of the root password affects all 11.0 appliances. The specific appliances I mentioned are also affected relating to the applications 'admin' passwords.

Regarding special characters, I mean the $ ! ( ` ones...

Just use alphanumeric passwords on firstboot, you can change them later to what ever you want the conventional way - no need to build the stack yourself.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Give that a go asap and if it still doesn't work then please report back and I'll double check and if it's a problem we'll log a bug.

Jeremy Davis's picture

It depends what part you are trying to log into.

For local terminal, SSH, SFTP, Webmin & WebShell (Shell-in-a-box):
Username: root
Password: <set at firstboot>

For most other WebUI logins should be:
Username: admin (or check the default admin username of the specific software, ie in this case WordPress)
Password: <set at firstboot>

Let me know how you go with it.

Jeremy Davis's picture

TKL appliances are server appliances, designed generally to be run headlessly or virtualised and administered remotely, hence no GUI.

If you want to administer your Ubuntu-based Turnkey Linux server then command line is the go - either via SSH or Webshell (Shell-in-a-box). If you find that daunting then Webmin can be quite handy. The Wordpress component itself is administered via it's own WebUI. All of these services/interfaces (except for SSH) are accessed via a web browser from another machine (the host machine or another PC on your LAN when using 'bridged' networking under VBox). The TKL confconsole (the default blue start up screen in the TKL terminal) will inform you of the IP address of your appliance and the relevant ports to include. Generally browsing to http://<applianceIP> will load up a default TKL start screen with links to the other bits, otherwise type them in manually.

I'm having the same issues with Vtiger CRM Appliance. I can't log in I tried reinstalling but it dosen't work. I tried it on VMware ESXi and Amazon EC2. Same thing on both instances. No access.

Come on guys we need this stuff !!!

Jeremy Davis's picture

When you say you can't login, what are you trying to log into? Webmin? vTiger? SSH/SFTP? What have you tried already? Do you have network connectivity? Can you ping the appliance ok?

For the record, the default username for Webmin, SSH, SFTP and Webshell (Shell-in-a-box) is root & for vTiger is admin (passwords set at first boot for ISO/VM; pre-launch via the Hub for AWS).

Jeremy Davis's picture

You can do everything through your web browser if you want although personally I prefer to use client software for file tranfers in & out and shell access. On Windows 2 programs I would recommend are Filezilla (for SFTP file transfer) and PuTTY (SSH client).

I reinstalled it on my VMware ESXi box and it worked with the admin username. Thanks for all the help guys. 

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/support/20110314/cant-log-vtiger

Add new comment