Well the good news is I created a pretty fine draft of an Eden Dev environment. I should have reviewed the TKL Client threads; but as it turns out, what I put together is very close.

One problem: Install of Eclipse from conf scripts killed the patch process - no errors were thrown, but no ISO was produced and .cdroot and .rootfs weren't cleaned. When I tried to remove them by hand, I got a long list of permission problems. Troubleshooting package by package let me to Eclipse or its dependencies the patch fails in either of the following cases:

#!/bin/bash -ex
apt-get update
apt-get install eclipse

or

#!/bin/bash -ex
apt-get update
apt-get install eclipse-platform

#!/bin/bash -ex
apt-get update
apt-get install eclipse-pde

On the bright side, I wrote my first init-hook (is that the right term?) to install on first use.

But this ideal for Eden's use scenarios. Anyone know how to resolve this tklpatch issue?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I had the same symptoms with the OVZ convertor patch that I have worked on. Turns out it was caused by a service still running in the chroot. I suspect that one of the dependancies installed with Eclipse is starting as a service. You need to stop it before the patch process can complete.

One way to see if that might be it is to watch the install process (or send it to a log file). Look for the telltale '[OK]' service start announcement.

So you're once again given me confidence in my conclusions. Unfortunately when I use ps -e f |less I couldn't find any unreasonable processes. The only new service was x11-something, but stopping it didn't solve the problem. So I'm left with the only solution I can think of (first-boot install, along with lxdm.

Jeremy Davis's picture

And it sounds like that works fine so no problem really.

But if you do want to see if there is anything else running perhaps include 2 new lines in your conf. One at the start to pipe ps -ef to a file and again at the end (to a differnt file) and then run a diff on them. This should show anything that has been started by your script.

Add new comment