Don Sanderson's picture

This one is a bit tricky to ask so an example:

In the case of a tkl appliance acting as a file server how would one recover one users file without affecting others?

Say a user 'fred' deletes a file and a week later discovers that he did so in error and needs it back. (Which happens regularly.)

Say I restore from a backup prior to the date he deleted the file.

Won't restore use the base appliance as a 'template' and restore the entire system to the state it was in at that time, losing ALL changes after that date?

tklbam-backup/restore is an absolute wonder for migrating, or rebuilding a 'dead' machine, but is it practical as a true file backup/restore mechanism?

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

If you want just one file, it can be done, but it will be a bit awkward as TKLBAM is designed as a higher-level system backup tool, not a file level backup tool. I think the easiest way to do this with TKLBAM would to restore the desired system backup set (e.g., from a week ago) to an instance in the cloud, grab the files you want and shut down the instance.

It would work, but it isn't really a good solution if you need to do this sort of thing regularly.

OTOH, nothing is preventing you from supplementing TKLBAM with more conventional low-level backup tools (duplicity is nice), or better yet revision control. I like using Git, autocommitted daily in certain directories. That way you won't even have to reach over the network to recover those accidentally deleted files.

Don Sanderson's picture

there is a 'File Server Appliance' I was trying to fit tklbam into the role of primary backup mechanism.

I see now that more conventional methods will still be required.

File by file, or folder by folder, restore is a very common occurance in a 'document intensive' office environment.

Thanks for the prompt answer.

Adrian Moya's picture

It may suit your needs. I think it will make it's way to the second batch of official appliances, but if not, search the forums for the tklpatch, and try it in your scenario.

Don Sanderson's picture

could this patch be applied to an exisiting TKL File Server Appliance or just to the core?

Jeremy Davis's picture

But only one way to find out for sure! Make sure everything is backed up (I suggest TKLBAM) and test it out.

Add new comment