Mohd Fitri Abd Rahman's picture

hi ppl,

last nite, im install a new turnkey lamp and doing a full system-upgrade

#apt-get dist-upgrade.

after that.. while setting up udev, it take too long and no respond after that..

anyone know how to fix it ?

im already done with #dpkg --configure -a, but no luck.

thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

It is a known upstream Ubuntu bug. Have a read of this thread here.

Mohd Fitri Abd Rahman's picture

yeah... im already figure out that problem come from ubuntu..

thanks for information...

by da way.. im a big fan on TKL

Don Sanderson's picture

From a VM, LiveCD or installed instance the upgrade to the above version causes this hang.

This is very wierd because I did an 'apt-get upgrade' to an install on this same hardware last week with no issue.

udev updated from 151-12.2 (version in tkl dokuwiki 11.1) to the .3 release in November so apparently it's not the issue.

The problem lies somewhere other than udev itself.

I will post this to 'buntu bugs.

BTW: Killing the udev restart process and rebooting (As in the post referenced above) works fine on an install.

Sux to be me on a liveCD though. frown

Don Sanderson's picture

Tried installing udev first, by itself, on a liveCD.

Same hang.

So......WHY.....did upgrades work last week?

Very strange.

This seems to be an issue people have been having for some time. Yet I am just now encountering it.

Any thoughts?

Jeremy Davis's picture

And as such it is pretty much outside of the scope of TKL to fix unfortunately. :(

Liraz Siri's picture

TurnKey has never hanged for me. The problem seems to be only relevant to those who insist on doing a dist-upgrade. If you can provide precise instructions for reproducing the problem from a clean install, that would be helpful.
Jeremy Davis's picture

If you follow the link that I posted (second post in this thread) it links to another TKL thread where there is a clear step-by-step workaround.

@Liraz it even does it with apt-get upgrade. I have experienced it both under KVM (via Proxmox) and VirtualBox (3.2.x under Ubuntu 10.04). It is a comfirmed upstream Ubuntu bug but it only seems to occur with a specific mix of server components and only on some hardware cofigurations (hence I guess why nobody has fixed it). The Ubuntu bug (of which there is a link to on the other thread, or under the udev bug on the TKL bugtracker) has only been confirmed on a headless server setup.

I can reproduce the bug any/everytime from a clean install of pretty much any of the TKL appliances (I recall Core does it so I guess all the others will too), simply run:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and that'll do it!

Liraz Siri's picture

I admit I didn't realize such a terrible bug could really have sneaked through into 10.04, which is supposed to be a more stable Long Term Release. I am truly disappointed that Ubuntu let this happen and it's another argument for supporting Debian and maybe even making Debian the default distribution.

I'm thinking as a workaround maybe we should release a security update that puts udev on hold.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Holding udev seems to work fine though, I've been doing it since the TKL Lucid beta.

And AFAIK the udev updates are not security related so it shouldn't cause any issues by holding it back.

Jeremy Davis's picture

And what you did all seems to have worked so good stuff. The point of putting udev on hold though is to stop it from ever being an issue again (hopefully) as it will be held at the current version (and not update). The downside is that if a security issue occurs with udev, it will not get updated then either. I'm hoping that that is unlikely... (which is probably a poor atitude!)

AFAIK you can put hold on packages from within aptitude too (rather than using dpkg) but as I don't use it I'm not sure how to. I'm sure google knows! :)

PS Remember that there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people! :P No just joking! I think if you go back through these forums to when I first started using TKL you will find me saying lots of stupid things and asking silly questions - so it's all good. I'm always happy to help out as much as possible, especially when people have made at least some effort to have a go and aren't asking for unreasonable levels of hand-holding. Besides, I think for every question that gets asked there's probably at least a dozen people wondering the same thing...

bobbyratliff's picture

I tried these steps, and they did not work on my box. at the last step (#aptitude safe-upgrade) it says errors were encountered while processing:

initramfs-tools
casper

Jeremy Davis's picture

Here. That should get you going.

PS sorry for slow reply.

Add new comment