Steven Crowder's picture
I'm a _comeplete_ newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, so please be patient and bear with me. I'm a historian, not an IT tech, but I'm trying :) I'm attempting to build a website to be accessed locally only (for now), which will include a wiki as a back-end part of the website. In other words, I want to be able to have a website that I construct, but have the wiki in a subfolder; www.mysite.com will point to my website, and the wiki would be in www.mysite.com/wiki. I have the MediaWiki Appliance set up on an old computer and it's working wonderfully. I've tried to familiarize myself with it as much as I can, and I think I'm making progress. The issue I'm having is that I don't know how to move the wiki to a subfolder and point www.mysite.com to a folder I can build a website in. Can anyone instruct me on how to do this? I've toyed around with it a bit, and had to reinstall the MediaWiki Appliance software three times because I've messed it up so bad. Thanks for any help you can give!
Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Apache is responsible for mapping website paths (e.g,. http://yourwebsite/wiki) to file paths (e.g., /var/www). You don't have to be an IT tech guy to fiddle with the Apache Webmin module and change the mediawiki configuration so that it's mapped to the /wiki path instead of the webroot (I.e., /) path.

If you feel lost and confused by the terminology it will probably help if you read at least some of the Apache documentation to get your bearings and understand the terminology. That's pretty much what we all did when we were starting out with Apache.

Add new comment