Eka Januard's picture

i'm a newbie, specially in linux world and server, Thx God i've met turnkey ... please help me on 2 problems:

1. I was greatly assisted by the simplicity of turnkey when i build moodle for my college, but when i add and configuring samba manually, i found trouble, sometimes the ip private (local ip) for samba goes down (rto) and sometimes the ip public dns for moodle goes down too, i already try using 1 ethernet (using 2 ip by alias) and 2 ethernet, even changing the new server (using dessktop computer), new installation and new ethernet card but the problem still often happen. the problem can be solved by restarting the server or ping google / gateway manually by using keyboard :( i've turn off all the sleep setting and the problem still exist .... :(( any clue to solve it ?

2. I really need to combine moodle appliance, samba (file server and domain controller appliance) , otrs - trouble ticket system appliance, and finally wordpress appliance in 1 server ^o^ any hint how i can combine all of them in 1 server ??? :D

note: first time i'm using old Compaq Server with AMD Opteron 1,6Ghz, RAM 1gb, now i'm using Acer Aspire M1800 (desktop) with Intel Dual Core E5300 2,6Ghz, RAM 2gb

thanx a lot

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Looks like your post slipped through the cracks so sorry about that.

1. That's a new one to me. I have never experienced that sort of problem with TKL before. I would suggest setting a static IP via the confconsole and cross your fingers. Otherwise double check all networking etc, still it seems strange that a reboot fixes it... Not sure...
  2. Two ways to go here:
    1. Single multi-function server appliance. Use one of the appliances - probably the most complex and difficult one to configure and then manully install the other apps yourself on top.
      Pros: All applications running on one machine under one OS - only one OS to maintain; probably best performance - especially if you can tune the OS to the hardware and apps; generally easier to integrate individual apps/functions (although not always).
      Cons: No redundancy - If the OS crashes you lose the lot; One app may 'hog' resources - making other apps run slow or bog down; difficult to extend/reduce - requires more work to add or remove services; difficult to migrate to new server; complex and time consuming initial setup and maintenance (although some minor maintenance may be easier than below); can only use Ubuntu based software (assuming you use TKL); increased vulnerability to security issues - as everything is in one place if a 'bad guy' breaks in, they instantly have access to everything.
    2. Hypervisor OS (eg ProxmoxVE, ESX/ESXi/vSphere, TKL VirtualBox Headless - still in prototype). With this configuration the functions (apps) run as their own independant virtual machine (VM).
      Pros: Each app is independant - redundancy means that just because one service is out of actions, others aren't generally affected; System resources can be allocated per VM appliance - no opportunity for one appliance to interfere with the function of another; Easy to install, setup, remove and migrate - initial serup very easy, server functions can easily be added, removed or migrated to another physical machine relatively easy (exact circumstance depends on Hypervisor OS used), generally roles can be added/removed with no impact or risk to other appliances/services; generally easier to perform local backups on - an image of the whole VM (in working state) can be taken, this can be restored quickly and easily when required; decreased security risk - if 'bad guy' breaks in only has access to that particular server/appliance; greater opportunity to 'mix and match' - ie other OS can be used including Windows or RPM Linux based OSs; able to get every last ounce of performance out of hardware.
      Cons: Potential for increased maintenance - need to maintain numerous individual OSs as well as the host OS; Possible to over allocate resources (can also be a pro as mentioned above) - may cause issues if the hardware is expected to do too much eg over allocating HDD space when using 'expandable' virtuall HDDs under VMware; initial configuration of integrating indivdual appliances may be tricky/trickier (although not always).

As you may have already suspected (or know if you have read many of my posts here on TKL forums) I am a strong advocate of virtualisation using a Hypervisor OS (for the above reasons). My personal preference is for ProxmoxVE as it is Debain based (very similar to Ubuntu - the base of TKL) so maintenance is somewhat consistent, also it is open source. At a glance your stated hardware should be able to cope with PVE.

Add new comment