c0mputerking's picture

I am a total nub here, but really would like some help I cannot get TurnKey torrent appliace to install on my KVM setup.  Using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as host to KVM installed from the repositiories

virsh # version Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.5
Using library: libvir 0.7.5
Using API: QEMU 0.7.5
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

I run the command

sudo virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n test2 -r 512 -f test2.qcow2 -s 12 -c /home/c0mputerking/turnkey-torrentserver-11.2-lucid-x86.iso

Starting install...
Creating storage file tes 100% |=========================|  12 GB    00:00     
Creating domain...                                                 0 B 00:00
Connected to domain test2
Escape character is ^]

Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.
c0mputerking@sun:~/convirture-tools/install/managed_server/scripts$ virsh --connect qemu:///systemWelcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
       'quit' to quit

virsh # list --all
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  1 test1                running
  2 test2                running

However i cannot find a way to connect to the VM Please help i know this is a KVM question, but i am a bit lost here have tried setting up a console see below but always get error when trying to connect

virsh # console test1
Connected to domain test1
Escape character is ^]
01:29:24.943: error : vshRunConsole:77 : unable to open tty /dev/pts/2: Permission denied

I did this in hopes of getting  console command to work above

sudo editor /etc/init/ttyS0.conf

Add the configuration:

# ttyS0 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
exec /sbin/getty -L 115200 ttyS0 xterm

PS vncdisplay just returns me to the virsh command prompt

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

In fact I have only used it via ProxmoxVE and have had no issues with it at all (in relation to TKL appliances anyway). So sorry I can't really be of any help.

Only thing I can suggest is that if you are familiar with KVM then a TKL guest should work as any other Ubuntu 10.04 guest (the basis of TKL v11.x) or if you aren't that familiar with KVM, then perhaps you may be better off using a GUI frontend for it, rather than just from the commandline (at least to start with). Having said that I'm not sure which GUI(s) are best but I'm sure there are a number of them (and I would expect at least one or 2 would be in the repos).

Alternatively, if your host is headless and you'd like to keep it that way (ie don't have xorg installed and don't want to install heaps of stuff just to use a GUI for KVM) then I highly recommend you have a look at ProxmoxVE. It's a Debian based bare-metal headless Hypervisor which includes both KVM and OpenVZ virtualisation and has a neat WebUI for setting everything up. Be warned though, when you initially install it, it will want to use all connected harddrives (and wipe them in the process). So I suggest you initially disconect any HDDs with data you wish to keep (you can add them back later).

Add new comment