kamaradski's picture
Hi all,

I was hoping one of you would be able to point me in the right direction on a small challenge i'm facing.

On my Debian host, i'm running 2 Turnkey machines in Virtualbox namly the Lamp-stack and the torrent server.

As i'm doing most administration via a x11vnc client i would like to increase the console resolution of the virtual machines to 800x600 or 1024x768 on boot.

After some searching i know i need to change this in the grub2 configuration, however the few articles i found on this topic are not corresponding the turnkey setup.

Could someone on help me solve this ?

Many thanks in advance!

KR
kamaradski
Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Unless you have a specific reason to have a GUI installed IMO you are much better off using SSH (from a local terminal), SFTP (Filezilla is my favourite) and the WebUIs avaiable with TKL. Then you won't have any issue with window size/resolution (it can be maximised, minimised or whatever).

If for some reason you wish to persevere on your current course then I would suggest that you consult the Ubuntu forums - TKL 11.x (the current version is v11.2) is based on Ubuntu 10.04/Lucid.

kamaradski's picture

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the reply :)

I'm not actually vnc'ing into the TLK VM's only to the host machine through a ssht-tunnel this host is not Vbox dedicated and has the full gnome installed for day-to-day purposes.

There are 2 reasons for me using the VM consoles and need resolution change:

1 - It's often quicker to have have a quick glance on the running console to see for any latest screen updates then to open a new console and ssh+screen to the VM.
2 - i'm running some "not out of the box" software on the TLK VM's and they display info on the console however these would need a higher resolution to be readable. (example rtorrent without webgui)

I'll have another sniff on the Ubuntu forums, even though i already gave it a quick scan. Thanks again for the reply.

KR
kamaradski

Jeremy Davis's picture

No worries on the reply. TBH it's not something I've ever done before so I've got no idea (I recall doing it with desktop connections before, but never console ones). Sorry I couldn't be a bit more helpful.

Ric Moore's picture

Wouldn't using putty be easier? you can configure size, fonts and font sizes, colors, you name it. Easy enough. Ric

Jeremy Davis's picture

Using PuTTY to SSH straight to the VM would be a much better solution IMO too.

Jeremy Davis's picture

TBH I'm not 100% sure about removing the "load_video" line, but the 'proper' way to (permanently) add kernel options is to edit /etc/default/grub and amend the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line. E.g.:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi=off noapic"

Then update grub:

update-grub

Add new comment