Mayank Sharma's picture

Hi,

I was having issues seeding torrents with MLDonkey in the Torrent Appliance, so I thought I'd try uTorrent Server. But no cookie! I have tried running the uTorrent Server from both a non-root user as well as root. The server starts successfully, but I get nothing on the default uTorrent webUI port <IP-address>:8080/gui

Oh, and this is atop the Torrent Appliance, in case that has any bearings on the issue. 

Any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

TBH I'm not sure at all. I have used uTorrent (inc the WebUI), but only on a Win Desktop. I didn't even realise that uTorrent could run headlessly and TBH would expect that it would require some config (which I would imagine would need to be done through a GUI). Last time I used uTorrent on Win the WebUI needed to be configured from the GUI first.

Personally if you are happy with the TKL torrent appliance as-is I'd be looking at some other native Linux app, rather than a Win app that's been ported to Linux. I have read that Transmission can now run completely headlessly (although I haven't tried it) and there is also a pretty cool commandline Linux torrent client called rTorrent that I have used and it has a number of cool looking WebUIs available. I used one (I don't recall the name) at one point long ago and it worked well, but was a pain to setup and then died for no apparent reason. But that was years ago.

Mayank Sharma's picture

Hi Jeremy,

I tried Transmission and it works right off that bat. Also tried Deluge and that works as well. The only reason I was looking for an alternative to MLDonkey was because I couldn't wrap my head around its complex UI. But once I got a hang of it, I could really appreciate its flexibility. With the WebUIs of both Transmission and Deluge you can't create your own .torrent file, but with MLDonkey you can (with the compute_torrent command).

Mayank Sharma's picture

..here it is: http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/how-to-set-up-a-torrent-server-10...

MLDonkey's UI isn't for the faint of heart, but once you get used to it, you wouldn't want to use another Torrent client.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Nice work Mayank.

I only had a quick glance but that looks like an awesome tutorial! If it's ok with you it'd be great to copy-paste some of that into the TKL docs (the specifics of config and useage of the MLDonkey interface particularly). Obviously it would include need to include acknowledgement (and a link back to your original tutorial).

I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but if you're happy with that and you have time and/or energy you could even do it yourself (the wiki should be writeable by anyone logged in). It'd probably best fit under a new entry in Appliance Specifc Notes.

Mayank Sharma's picture

Meant to do this earlier, but <inset-any-of-the-hundreds-of-excuses-you've-heard-before>

Here it is: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/node/3145

Jeremy Davis's picture

I know what it's like. But thanks heaps for taking the time to do that! You're a legend! :)

Andrew's picture

I can't start a new thread yet, and this is the closest I could find sorry.

I followed this guide---> http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/74638-how-to-build-a-utorrent-server-wit... . I'm using Turnkey Linux Core v 14.0 and the utorrent server version that is the link. I went to download a new version but it said ubuntu or debian and I'm not sure which one is turnkey linux, this is my first time with Linux.

However I'm using Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Everything went ok until I got to "Lets start uTorrent for the first time: /etc/utserver/ ./utserver" and it said "no such directory found". I ran the previous commands and it did rename the folder, move the files and clean up the old folder.

I found this ----> http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/66305-solved-su-utserver-no-such-file-or... but I'm not sure if I should install the lib if its not suitable for me and is going to cause problems because its for a different OS etc.

Also I'll be creating a new virtual drive for the downloads. How do I modify this tutorial to put the directories on the other drive and apply the permissions on those. I also need to be able tocopy folders/files to and from the host with my host admin account but not the torrent user.

Really appreciate any help you can give. 

Be easy on me... I'm new. :)

Jeremy Davis's picture

TurnKey have just released a new torrentserver appliance (v14.0). The new appliance uses rTorrent as a backend and ruTorrent as the WebUI. It's not uTorrent but IMO it's better! :) http://www.turnkeylinux.org/torrentserver

Also the torrentserver appliance has Samba (and webDAV) included so you should be able to connect via Windows Explorer OOTB. I'm not really sure on your rationale for using a separate vHDD but TurnKey is Debian based so any Debian (or Ubuntu) instructions should apply there. Assuming you want to maintain Samba (SMB/CIFS) access then you may need to do some tweaking...

If you want to persevere with uTorrent then go for it but I can't provide any help beyond the fact that TKL v13.0 is based on Debian Wheezy (7) and v14.0 is based on Debian Jessie (8). Generally Ubuntu instructions will work but not always...

Andrew's picture

Thanks Jeremy. I tried the torrent server appliance with rutorrent but I found rutorrent a bit basic. 

So I followed this http://www.everythingtech.xyz/p/utorrent-on-linux.html?m=1 and when i got to the end it to start utorrent it said no such directory found. So I thought I may have missed mv * /home/toruser/utorrent. So I ran it again and now I get utserver: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. So I ran sudo apt-get install libss10.9.8:i386 and it said no such package found. I used the torrent server appliance 13 i386 and the same utorrent server link in the guide.

I had to manually type the whole utorrent.conf file because hyper-v wouldnt let me paste it in the nano editor. 

Jeremy Davis's picture

Obviously it depends on expectations! I first tried rTorrent/ruTorrent a few years ago and at the time I would have totally agreed with you. Although since then I have been using Transmission headless. Initially I configured it with a remote GUI and since then have just been using the webUI (allows you to add/start/stop/delete torrents and that's about it).

When Anton (the guy that updated the torrentserver appliance) suggested I baulked and suggested something else but he convinced me. Once i tested his prototype out I was sold. I found ruTorrent had tons of settings and flexibility in comparison (to Transmission headless webUI) so I intend to move that to rTorrent/ruTorrent myself. However obviously my requirements are low and the bar for comparison was very low... Ultimately I just want to be able to download a torrent and have it save where I want it...

So my first question is what is missing? You say it was a "bit basic". I take that to mean that you want more options? What do you want to do that you can't? By my understanding rTorrent (the headless server client that the ruTorrent webUI frontend controlls) is quite a powerful piece of software so perhaps the setting you want to change is available; just not through the UI? So long as it's something that you just want to set and forget, configuring via commandline might work?

Also I just realised that you said you're using the v13.0 version (that used MLDonkey; not rTorrent/ruTorrent). Did you try the new shiny v14.0 torrentserver appliance? It still may not suit your needs but the cost is only ~250MB download so worth a look IMO! :)

Re utorrent. TBH I have no idea. I haven't used it in about 6-7 years. IMO it was pretty cool when first released but since BitTorrent.com bought it, it has become bloated (when I last used it it was ~700KB - the latest Windows dl is ~1.7MB; which in fairness is still quite small) and also full of ads so I haven't been a big fan... Also I refuse to use non-free software these days unless I really have to! But my opinion aside it seems like the version of uTorrent you have relies on a really out of date SSL library. I'm guessing that the tutorial must be really old as libssl1.0.0 has been the default for a long time now... So unless uTorrent have a newer version (that uses libssl1.0.0 instead) you will spend a lot of time banging your head and very little else... My 2c worth anyway...

Random tip Rather than working in the Hyper-v "window" I would suggest that you connect to your server via SSH using something like PuTTY. It will be a much better user experience! Also if you want/need to copy files in/out then checkout Filezilla or WinSSHFS

Jeremy Davis's picture

From a quick glance it looks like your tutorial is quite out of date... It was for a really old (v11.x) version of TurnKey and as the previous poster noted it seems to be broken for v13.0 (and will be for the latest v14.0 too).

I just had a quick look on the uTorrent website and it appears that they have a newer (albeit beta) version of utorrent which is built for the previous version of Debian (Wheezy/7) - the basis of the previous version of TurnKey (v13.0). It may also work on the current version of Debian/TurnKey (Jessie/v14.0)?

Also out of interest, have you tested the new v14.0 appliance with rTorrent/ruTorrent? As a confirmed uTorrent user and advocate I'd be interested in your input too! :)

Jeremy Davis's picture

I suspect that it's the old version of uTorrent that is causing the issues then...
Andrew's picture

Hi Jermey and Robert

Sorry. I didnt get an email that there was replies. I ended up following roberts guide but I used version 13 of torrentserver appliance, and after I created the directories, I downloaded new utorrent server as you said jeremy in windows. I created the utserver.config in windows and then copied it with utserver in the VM folders from the Windows host, and then ran the installer from the VM command line. Thanks heaps for the guide robert. This is my first time with linux and this project was making my head hurt but you possible for happy ending. 

I guess what I didnt find in rutorrent is there isnt any labeling for different files to append to, to sort the folders. I couldnt see anywhere that I could change the port either and the firefox addon required that I use a 10 year old firefox version. Which is a bit scary. However I found that there is another version I think that supports a much more recent version of chrome. I didnt look into it much as I came across Roberts post and thought thats right my alley and started on that, but I still have rutorrent.

I havent tried ver 14 but I do have is up and running nicely except now I'm trying to get my head around ip tables. Ive never used putty. Maybe once I get this going properly, I can learn more about it.

Are you guys good at ip tables?

What I have is a HP Gen8 Microserver which has 3 NICs. One is dedicated to iLO (HP Remote Desktop), another is dedicated to the host (WSE2012R2), which is a DC, DNS and File Server and the other dedicated to the TurnKey VM. All are plugged into a switch, then a router and off to the internet. At the moment I have a internel network setting, with the 2nd NIC sharing the internet with the VM virtual NIC. The VM is installed on tis own HDD. I can access the folders on the VM from the server but cannot from anywhere on the LAN. So I need to change it to External and block access to the server traffic.

What I want to do is allow the VM to have internet access but be blocked from the LAN except for access from my desktop to the various Web UI pages for Torrent Server and UTorrent and also be able to transfer files back and forth securely to add torrents and transfer downloads to the shared folders on the Server. I'm also planning on using a public DNS address for utorrent and leaving my LAN to use my DNS. 

Andrew's picture

Nm. I'm a bit of a loss cause I know. :/

How about this?
I got it all running and the firewall setup. So how do I get utorrent to start at boot under the non-root user?.

Jeremy Davis's picture

TBH I'm not very familiar with IPTables either. However Turnkey includes Webmin which can make IPTasbles config pretty easy. It can be found under "Firewall" (after logging into webmin - https via port 12321).

Re rTorrent: Just to make sure we are on the same p[age, where have you tried rTorrent/ruTorrent? If you are referring to v13.0 then that DOES NOT use rTorrent. v13.0 (and previous versions) use MLDonkey. MLDonkey is very powerful software but it is quite complex and different to configure (hence why it has a "basic" and an 'advanced" interface. Personally I got frustrated with it and used Transmission instead.

The new v14.0 appliance (released about a week and a half ago) uses rTorrent (which is a powerful commandline only torrent client) and ruTorrent (a web frontend for rTorrent). There are multiple possible addons/extensions available for both Firefox and Chrome. I suggest that you download it and have a quick look...

Assuming that you're using the old TurnKey version (v13.0) then you will need to enable your service. It should be something like this (lets assume your service name it 'torrent-server').

update-rc.d torrent-server defaults

Add new comment