CJT's picture

After 5 installations I have created this user guide that hopefully others will find useful.  I wish to say that the vTiger Turnkey image is an excellent build.  However the setup withing Amazon EC2 is a bit different so here is a step-by-step guide.

1. Find the Turnkey EC2 vTiger instance (I used: turnkey-vtiger-11.3-lucid-x86.ebs (ami-615a9108))

2. Start instance

3. Sit tight for about 5 minutes, get a cup of coffee

4. After a few minutes a "system log file" will be created by Amazon, open the file, you will see a greenscreen log.  Search the log for the ROOT password, it is inbetween ****

Root password is: XXXXXXXXX

5. Now that you have root make sure you have your security group setup for the image, you will need the following ports open in the Amazon firewall:

22: for SSH
80: for web
12321: for Webmin
12322: for PhpMyAdmin

6. ssh as root

7. after login type "turnkey-init" which will then run a script to let you set your CUSTOM passwords for Linux, MySQL and vTiger (admin access).  Don't forget to write down your passwords!

8. You can now login to vTiger at your Amazon elastic IP (it needs to be mapped)

9. You now have full access, enjoy!

EXTRA CREDIT -- UPGRADE THE IMAGE from vTiger 5.2 to 5.4

1. Download the vtiger 5.4.0 tarball from SourceForge

2. make directory /www/var/vtiger540

3. Use ftp over ssh or use Webin to upload the vTiger540 tarball to /vtiger540 (if you use Webmin you can have it unpack the file), else unpack

4. The upgrade install will be at /var/www/vtiger540/vtigercrm

5. Use the Webin Apache tool to edit the default directory from /var/www/vtigercrm to /var/www/vtiger540/vtigercrm, save and restart Apache

6. Open browser http://your-ip

7. You should see the "vTiger Install/Migrage" screen

8. Follow the directions

9. When completed you will now have vTiger 5.4.0

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

If you launch your instance via the TKL Hub then you can preseed all your passwords and security stuff is already preconfigured. What is the advantage tonot using the Hub?

CJT's picture

Jeremy, the main reason is I have no idea what the "hub" is... I looked at your site, and really couldn't figure out, what or how it works with regards to my current Amazon account--I am sure I am the idiot.  It is not you guys--your work is awesome and I know you need to be compensated for your efforts no doubt.  

So here is the flow on how I found TurnKey Linux...

First, I am NOT a Linux Admin by any means at all.  I have very very limited skills.  So I mostly use Windows...  I installed vTiger in Windows image at EC2 and the performance was crap.  I was considering to just boot a Amazon AMI and then install vTiger.  For the hell of it I search "vtiger" under images and found one so I tried it.  It was your image.  Then I went through the "how do I get root" on it.  As you know there so many different access methods with Amazon, key pairs, ssh, every image is different.  And honestly a pain in the ass.  So I started digging.

The point is, I am over worked, underpaid, and have limited skills.  The point was to get the job done as fast as possible and learning another "interface" (the Hub) didn't seem to be the short cut I needed.

However I must admit your images are nice, easy to work with (webmin, myphp) all the tools I normally install.  I just signed up for an account and will spend some time on your project.

What looks really interesting is the backups...

Here is a question for you, and very important.  I am working on a project and we need "idiot scalablity".  When you are in the EC2 interface, depending on the image you use, there limitations for upgrade.  For example CentOS (an image I have used a few times) has a strange upgrade path, you can have micro, small, instances but not large.  Or some other strange mix.  After digging with various images it seems ONLY THE AMAZON AMIs have the entire "upgrade path" micro, small, medium, large, extra large etc.  

So can I use the HUB for my other Amazon AMI images?  Maybe that would be good...

Your stuff is great, and I will spend some more time on it...

Keep up the good work.

Chris
WPB, FL

Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for taking the time to explain. My experience is the opposite way around. My dealings with AWS have only been w TKL and the Hub. For me it is pretty intuitive and straight forward. From my perspective launching a TKL appliance via the Hub is almost too easy with everything there in a single page web form.

As for your questions, I can't speak of CentOS but TKL is currently only available for micro, small and medium instances. AFAIK this is because they are only 32 bit currently (and larger instances require 64). And only TKL appliances can be managed via the Hub.

There is a lot of info burried in the forums here and there are plenty of gaps in the documentation but if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I can't guarantee I'll have the answers but I'll do my best.

L. Arnold's picture

I have installed a few packages directly on Amazon AWS and the process works...  though TBO I have not installed a TKL instance as you did.  (I wonder if I could install a Patch that way?)

To use the Hub you get several advantages.  You get to run simple simple backups with TKLBAM.  You get to install a server instance from either a New Install,  A TKLBAM Backup or a Snapshot of a running Hub Server.

You pretty much can delete/destroy anything when you want or need also.

The interface is very easy and I have found with my separate DNS system I can point at an Elastic IP very quickly and easily.

That said, I would like to be able to Boot a TKLPatch as a HUB Server.  I don't know how to do that just now.

Thanks for the guide.  VTiger is a very useful application.  If you find how to "simply upgrade" to version 5.3 from 5.21 let us know.

gracias!

CJT's picture

You can use the same method I did for upgrade.. 5.x.x to 5.x.x is pretty easy to do...

Add new comment