I'm trying to use Turnkey LAMP VM to create my web development environment. I've set up the VM, and created the virtual host, but when I go to the page on my host machine, it won't load.
Here's the steps I've taken:
- Created new user name for the vm
- created a directory with my website at /home/newuser/site
Navigated to Server > Apache
Navigated to Create Virtual Host, and entered settings as follows:
Handle connections to address: "any address" (default)
- kept default checks for "Add name virtual server address (if needed)", and "Listen on address (if needed)"
- Port: 8080 (with radio button seletected on the port box) (also tried 80, but was mainly trying 8080 or something else, just to make sure it wouldn't interfere with me accessing the Webmin portal)
- Server name: I've tried both "Automatic" and creating a dummy "myexamplehost.com". Honestly, I don't really need a host name unless its required. Since this is just a development environment, I'm okay with just going to http://my.ip.add.ress:8080
- Add virtual server to file: kept default "new file under virtual servers directory ..."
- Copy directives from: kept default "nowhere"
- Clicked "Create Now"
- Clicked "Apply Changes". I've also tried rebooting the VM.
When I try to run it in the browser on my host machine, it wont load.
Any suggestions on how to get this working? I'm new to Turnkey LAMP VMs and Webmin, so I'm not really sure what I did wrong, or where to start debugging it.
I'm using Windows 7 for my host machine running VMWare Player and the latest Turnkey LAMP. I've made very few changes other than whats been described above. I've tried this with both Bridged and Host-only network settings.
Any suggestions on how to fix, or where to start debugging, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!