bertaud's picture

Hello,

Could you explain for a newbie how to install the cacti appliance ?

- I downloaded the "turnkey-lamp-12.0-squeeze-x86.iso" file

- I installed it in a VM (qemu-kvm, debian squeeze)

- I logged with root/cacti

and after ?

- I created a no root user (cacti/cacti) and logged

- I downloaded the "cacti.tar.gz" file by the command wget http://cdn.turneylinux.org/files/attachments/cacti.tar.gz

- I untared it: tar -zxvf cacti.tar.gz

- Now I have a cacti directory

what else after ?

Forum: 
bertaud's picture

No one has installed it ? it's very surprising !

Jeremy Davis's picture

And I'm not even clear on exactly what you mean in your description of what you have done. But I would assume that it would be a case of setting up the TKL Cactii server and then installing some module into the server that Cactii is monitoring. Then there would need to be some sort of connection between the Cactii module/monitored server and the TKL Cactii server... Although that is just a guess...

I would suggest googling for a tutorial on setting up Cactii, but you can skip the steps that involve installing Cactii on the server that will collect the data (because TKL have done that bit for you...)

I'm totally unfamiliar with the TKL Cactii appliance but most TKL appliances have a WebUI of some sort (http://<appliance-ip-or-fqdn>/) often with links to documentation. Could be worth a shot?

Jeremy Davis's picture

I was thinking that there was an official Cacti appliance, I didn't realise that is not the case... So with that in mind, here are a couple of things:

• TKLPatch is quite well documented under Help>>Documentation>>TKLPatch (top right of this page).
  • I assume that you are referring to this patch!? If you haven't already I would read the full thread.
  • Also have a look at this thread. It's still quite old, but may have some pointers.
  • As you would have noticed, the patch is quite old and as such you may encounter issues with it not working as intended...
  • The patch was built for the previous version of TKL (V11) which was built on Ubuntu 10.04. TKL v12 is built on Debian 6. Although they are quite close, you may (again) encounter issues...
  • You can try to patch a running instance, but ideally TKLPatches are intended to be applied to ISOs (rather than running instances). They are best applied from within an instance of TKL Core (reduces potential of conflict between services running on the OS conflicting with services being configured within the patching chroot. As I say you can try applying it to your running server, but again you may encounter issues...
  • Because of the above potential issues, troubleshooting any problems you experience may be difficult.

I'm happy to help as much as I can, but I suggest that you do the above reading before you do anything else. Once you have done that and start patching, feel free to post back here with any error messages you may get and I'll try to help you out. Please clarify how you are patching (eg patching ISO from within Core) and the exact wording of any errors.

Good luck! :)

Add new comment