I have a Windows 2008 server running with vmware workstation installed.  Within VMware I have a turnkey appliance running.  Assuming all ports are available and I'm using the built in firewall only to allow or deny access to the ports.  The internal address of the VM is 192.168.x.x.  So to access Webmin for example I would open the browser on the server and type in 192.168.x.x:12321 and it works.  

What do I need to do to access the VM from outside of the server?  Also, is it possible to change the default ports of webmin, phpmyadmin, etc?

Thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Then your modem/router probably NATs your network. So you'l need to forward some ports. Most modern routers allow you to forward to different ports (e.g. 12321 -> 443 or whatever) so that is probably your easiest way to access it via alternative ports (although it will still use the same ports internally).

You can change the config to actually make your server use different ports but I've never done it. I would imagine that it will involve adjusting the relevant config file (config files are generally all in /etc).

Add new comment