Hendrick's picture

I tried to reserve a medium instance through the Turnkey Hub but the price is much higher than EC2 pricing. The difference is a lot.

Through the hub the upfront investment is USD 415 / year while EC2 only charge USD 138 / year for light utilization. Or is it not yet updated?

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

The pricing details on the Hub were out of sync with Amazon since the reductions. There is no premium on reserved instances what so ever. You pay Amazon directly for reserved instances at the price they offer. We have updated the Hub to reflect the reduced pricing - sorry about the confusion.

The Hub currently only supports "Medium reserved instances", as that was Amazon's original offering. Since then Light and Heavy have been introduced. We'll be adding support for the new options to the Hub soon, no ETA yet unfortunately.

Liraz Siri's picture

Good catch! It's just the documentation that's out of sync though. If you launch medium you get a medium instance. Amazon have increased the memory allocation of medium instances. We'll update the Hub docs to reflect that.

Alon Swartz's picture

The Hub's "medium" instance size refers to c1.medium (High-CPU), not the m1.medium (High-Mem). We'll be adding support for m1.medium in the next round of Hub updates. 

For reference:

M1 Medium Instance

- 3.75 GiB memory
- 2 EC2 Compute Unit (1 virtual core with 2 EC2 Compute Unit)
- 410 GB instance storage
- 32-bit or 64-bit platform
- I/O Performance: Moderate
- EBS-Optimized Available: No
- API name: m1.medium

High-CPU Medium Instance

- 1.7 GiB of memory
- 5 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each)
- 350 GB of instance storage
- 32-bit or 64-bit platform
- I/O Performance: Moderate
- EBS-Optimized Available: No
- API name: c1.medium

Add new comment