John Kimathi's picture

I am running   an appliance -  moodle-11.3-lucid-x86  with the following spec : - 1.7 GB RAM, 1 ECU, 10G rootfs, 160 GB tmp;

I want to upgrade RAM to at least 4GB. Please advice on the steps to enable me achieve this.

Thank you,

John.

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

First thing I'd do (if you haven't already) is run a TKLBAM backup. Do not stop your existing appliance yet, in fact I'd leave it running until your new appliance is up and running perfectly....

Assuming that you are running your appliance via the Hub/AWS (sounds like a small appliance) have a look at all the different appliances that Amazon offer and find the one that works best for you and launch a new Moodle test appliance in the size you want. Then restore your TKLBAM backup to the new server. If it all works fine once your backup is restored there then that's great. If not, you may need to make some tweaks because you are in effect upgrading from Moodle 2.0 (in TKL v12.3) to Moodle 2.4 (in v12.1). The Moodle forums may have some ideas: https://moodle.org/forums/ or feel free to post back here (I'll try to help but I'm not sure how useful I will be...). Make sure you document any additional steps you need to take (and please feel free to post back here with tips/instructions for others) and check that it is all working perfectly.

Once that's done and well tested you're ready for the final steps. If your current server is being used then many apps have a 'maintenance mode' (not sure about Moodle though) which will lock the site (and kick out logged in users). Otherwise make sure no one is using it currently and re-run the above steps (I'd probably destroy your initial test server and start again right from a fresh TKLBAM backup of your original server). If no one is using your site (or has been using it during your tests) then you can disregard that and continue with your test server.

Finally, release the elastic IP or TKLDNS domain (depending on which you are currently using) from your original server and associate it with your new server (this should all be possible from the Hub). Once you are 100% happy that everything is as it should be on your new server then (and only then) destroy your original server.

John Kimathi's picture

Thank you Jeremy for detailed explanation;am  setting up the appliance as per info above. But one question.Is it possible to set up a new moodle test Appliance - for testing purposes where by I am not paying anything at all - then to start paying once am happy and all running on the new server?

Regards,

John.

Jeremy Davis's picture

But you'll need to host your test appliance yourself. I'd recommend something like VirtualBox then download the ISO or VM image of the latest Moodle appliance. Install TKL and get that running. Then restore your backup to your local test VM. This will take a bit of pressure off and give you time to test and tweak with no price tag...

Clearly documenting every step of the migration will be even more important if you go that way though because you'll need to repeat those steps again later to get it running on AWS. Otherwise follow the same steps as above...

As I said above, if no one is using your server while you are testing then you cold just take a TKLBAM backup of your test VM server and migrate that to a new instance. Otherwise take a fresh TKLBAM backup of your original server and follow your documentation.

Personally I'd still not destroy your current (AWS) appliance until your new appliance is up and running on AWS too. This will mean that there will still be a little bit of overlap (where you'll have 2 appliances running - which you'll need to pay for). But if you have done plenty of testing (in a VM) and have clearly documented steps to follow then the time taken should be minimal (and shouldn't cost very much).

Add new comment