Adam K's picture

Yesterday I created Micro Lamp Stack in a hub, but I cant use this instance till now. During server launching I skipped option "Enable Turnkey on Amazon EC2", beacuse I wanted free evaluation. I'm not sure if I did well, there is little information about free evaluation.  I'm not even sure I will be charged or not :).

The first problem is continous messsage about installing security updates. Maybe its important, maybe not - see attachment.

If I click kradam.tklapp.com I see page: 

TKLAPP.com

The site you are looking for is currently not available.

When I click public IP link I see info about Initialization (two image links broken in  point #2). So I'm trying to initialize. I'm pretty sure I set root password and even noted it. So I started from web shell, the result is: "Loggin incorrect".  The next try was to find password in AWS "Get system log". There is no pass in this log. So I started putty using Amazon guide. The first doubt was user name. I decided to use root. The answer is: Server refused our key.  I tried root@publicIp, root@kradam.tklapp.com, root@publicDnsNameFromAmazonConsole

Could you help me?

br

Adam

Forum: 
Tags: 
Adam K's picture

Hi!

Since yesterday, two changes occurred: 

1. My domain kradam.tklapp.com started to work, described DNS error no longer occurs.

2. Putty SSH connection began to be refused at the network level. 

I changed nothing.

Could you help? According to my dashboard I will be charged for over $1 :-) and I'm not gonna pay for something I cant use.

br
Adam

Jeremy Davis's picture

AFAIK though you shouldn't be charged anything (by TKL - AWS charges still apply) if you have only one Micro appliance. TBH I wouldn't have thought it would work at all without linking an AWS account to your Hub account but obviously I'm wrong...!

The endless 'installing updates' thing has occurred when there has been issues with DNS (or more specifically lack of) but there have also been intermittent problems that some have experienced (but not me - even when I tried to reproduce the problem). Without clearer details of what is going on (i.e. AWS console log) it would be hard to know why it occurred but it sounds like this is no longer an issue...

So are you using the domain name to access your appliance (via SSH)? If you are using IP, perhaps check that your appliance still has the same one. My suspicion is that the IP has changed (if you want a static IP then you'll need to purchase that separately from Amazon). That may explain why the domain name has started working and the SSH has stopped but I don't know... only guessing...

Adam K's picture

Jeremy, thx for your answer. 

Please find attached my console log. My server tab screenshot is attached since my first post. Nothing has changed except uptime and money :-). Please, let me know if you need additional information. 

Network problem concerning putty and port 22 was resolved. Someone blocked this connection in one of my networks. Let's forget it. 

Now I can see error "Server refused our key" again.  Just in case I generated the next key pair, and did everything exactly according  amazon putty/SSH guide. The result is the same: "Server refused our key".

Maybe I should destroy my server and create a new one?

br

Adam

Jeremy Davis's picture

I always just use a root password...

But otherwise I would destroy it and try again... I just launched a Micro LAMP instance in Ireland and it all worked fine straight away for me...

Adam K's picture

Hi!

I destroyed and created my server twice. The result is virtually the same. I attach the next console log, there is some failures. 

There is endless "installing security updates" and I can't log in and thus initiate. No matter if I log using putty (with keys or password) or the webshell. If I dont define root password I cant find it in system log. 

I' m goint to pay for a TKL plan but I need to be sure that it works!

br

Adam

Jeremy Davis's picture

But as I said, AFAIK you can run one micro server without paying TKL monthly charge. I suggest that you kill the instance and I will speak with the devs and see what might be going on... As I said it works fine for me and although there were a few differences in our logs (I compared yours and mine) they didn't seem significant... But then again I assumed that you had removed the password bit. If you didn't then there are significant differences towrds the end of the log...

Sorry gotta go now but i will chase up with devs over the weekend if I can get hold of them...

Adam K's picture

I havent removed anything from the log! 

I destroyed my instance and I am looking forward for your info. 

br

Adam

Alon Swartz's picture

Sorry for the late reply. I just read through the whole thread and looked at the attached files.

The first error console log has me baffelled. There should be a lot more output, especially from inithooks. I see there was an issue mounting local filesystems, not sure what to make of that.

The second error console log seems to be going through the paces, but the eth0 (network card) wasn't available, so all network access is disabled. I've seen this once before, and can't reproduce it. My guess is it's an Amazon anomly?

The only thing I can recommend unforunately is to try again. Hopefully third time is charm.

As for paying for something you didn't use. I would recommend contacting Amazon to request a refund. They usually contact us to approve the refund request, which we'll glady approve.

Sorry about this. I'll see again if I can reproduce the issue, but in the past I've been unable to.

Adam K's picture

The third time it worked :-).

I changed server location for Virginia and processor architecture to AMD, maybe it helped :-)

I don't worry about some dollars. I checked AWS biling to enusre, IOT some cents for elastic IP :-). 

Thanks for help.

Adam

Add new comment