peter b's picture

Wordpress package is installed threw the admin, I see on the server, but have no instruction on how to view on the web. Can someone explain this, and or how to map to a subdomain. thanks

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

If you just want to host a single WP site from your server then you could use your DNS provider to route traffic to your server - no TKL config required except setting the hostname and WP site.

If you want to host multiple sub-domain WP sites (from a single WP TKL appliance) then IIRC there is a post or doc floating around here somewhere, but WP docs and or google would probaly get you going... (keep in mind when googling that TKL is based on Debian).

If you want to host your WP on a sub domain and another app/page/etc on an alternate subdomain (from the same TKL server) then setting up sub domain in Apache is probably a better option.

peter b's picture

so I want a sub domain "dev.mysite.com" to point to the wordpress install...

Jeremy Davis's picture

The 3 different suggestions to achieve 3 different possibilities that you may be trying to achieve are in my post above... All address different scenarios where you are using a sub-domain pointing to WP...

Considering your lack of further info, I can only assume that my first paragraph applies:

If you just want to host a single WP site from your server then you could use your DNS provider to route traffic to your server - no TKL config required except setting the hostname and WP site.

E.g. Using whatever management portal you use to manage your mysite.com domain DNS, add an entry that points dev.mysite.com to you TKL appliance IP... Wait for propagation... Done! :)

There may be further details/steps but without knowing more info about your plans I can't speculate what they might be...

peter b's picture

I have a domain  "mysite.com" already live. The DNS points to the turnkey server. The site resides in var/www

Now is need a sub-domain "dev.mysite.com" to be set up, with it's own directory, to house a seperate website.

can you tell me how to accomplish this in the turnkey admin?

thanks, Peter

Jeremy Davis's picture

You can't do that from TKL...

Like I said, you need to configure the sub domain with your domain host and instead of pointing your root domain to your appliance, configure a sub domain...

So instead of pointing the root domain (mysite.com) to your appliance, point the sub domain (dev.mysite.com) to your appliance. How you actually do that will depend on the interface that your domain host provides.

If you don't know how to do that you'll need to contact your domain host.

Add new comment