Torlock's picture

Hello there,

Recently I have been creating a site with Turnkeys Magento platform and it has come to a stage where I need to have bigger memory on the server to support a plugin. Trouble is I can't seem to upgrade it.

Firstly, I tried simply stopping the instance and then choosing "change instance type" but this doesn't work and I figured it's probably better to do it with a snapshot anyway.

So I took a snapshot of the instance and now I have an AMI. But... when I try and launch a new instance with the previously created AMI on m1.medium I get the following error:

Launch Failed

The instance configuration for this AWS Marketplace product is not supported. Please see http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp?sku=aaxe8sxcyl34fhr37zt48ansx for more information about supported instance types, regions, and operating systems.

So I go to the given URL adn review the details but I can't understand what is wrong.

Could anybody else provide some insight? It would be greatly appreciated!

Forum: 
Torlock's picture

I did just find this after posting https://forums.aws.amazon.com/message.jspa?messageID=199884#

One of the commenters mention that 32bit instance cannot be upgraded past 1.7GB. Is this true? And if so is there a simple(ish) solution?

Also, is the Magento platform compatible with 64bit as the link below only mention 32 bit?

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp?sku=aaxe8sxcyl34fhr37zt48ansx#support

Making cool stuff for Rerral.

Jeremy Davis's picture

TKL Hub (aka The Hub) is the preferred front end for managing TKL instances on AWS. It is much more user firendly (IMO) and allows you access to the v13.0 release appliances (they are coming to AWS marketplace but as yet are not available).

And I would recommend that you use TKLBAM to migrate your existing data to the new appliance. My recommended upgrade/migration process would look something like this:

1. Set up TKLBAM (if you haven't already) and run a (full) TKLBAM backup of your current Magento appliance. Don't do anything else with your original/current server for now!
  2. Launch a v13.0 Magento appliance (via TKL Hub) of the desired size and config (i.e. x64 m1.medium)
  3. Restore your TKLBAM backup to this new server (documenting as you go)
  4. Test your new server, ensuring everything works (again documenting as you go, particularly any adjustments, tweaks and modifications you make)
  5. Once happy with the results, destroy your new server (NOT your old one!!) and lock your old/current site (I'm unfamilar with Magento but most software such as this allow for a 'maintenance mode' or similar where users are stopped from performing any actions). Obviously do this at a time when you have little or no traffic anyway... I recommend planning the time/date for upgrade/migration and prewarn your customers with as much notice as possible prior to doing this...
  6. Repeat steps 1 - 4
  7. Adjust your DNS etc so that your domain name points to your new site (if you use an elastic IP you'll need to release it from your old server before you apply it to your new)
  8. Unlock your server...
  9. Once you are 100% happy that everything is good and working well (and not a moment sooner!), destroy your old server

Add new comment