Brian Padgett's picture

Could someone explain how I would load the drivers for Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. I have Googled it but not luck. It probrably doesn't help that I am under the influence of cold medicine LOL!

Thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

From my reading it is pre-packaged by Debian (see v12.x/Squeeze package or v13.x/Wheezy package) but as it is 'non-free' (i.e. not open source) you have to install it separately (non open source packages are not included by default in Debian - or TKL by extension).

So the process would be something like this:

1. On the relevant page (see links above) scroll down and click the download link for 'all' architecture (sometimes you have the choice of 32 bit or 64 bit packages, but not in this case). Then select a mirror that is close you (although it probably doesn't matter too much when you are just downloading one package).
  2. Save it onto a USB stick (ensure that it uses FAT filesystem - most USB sticks do, however some larger ones and most portable HDDs are formatted in NTFS - you can make NTFS work with Linux but for the purposes of this it will be a PITA).
  3. Mount the USB on your TKL server. You may need to find the name of the USB stick - generally if you only have one HDD connected it will be sdb1 but you can work it out by running
    fdisk -l
    before you insert it, then run it again after inserting it. The new entry that appears will be the USB. Then run this:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    cd /mnt
    dpkg -i firmware-bnx2_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb
    Note: Substitue sdb1 for whatever your USB is and adjust the name of the package according to whether it is Wheezy or Squeeze (obviously I used Wheezy as an example).
    Hint: You can use
    dpkg -i fi<Tab>
    to complete the line rather than having to type the whole name of the package! :)
  4. You should then be right to go! Although your system may require a reboot to recognise the hardware.
Brian Padgett's picture

Thanks Jeremy! That worked like a charm.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Good news! :)

Mobydick's picture

In my Primergy TX200 S4, I have Broadcom NetXtreme II 10Gb,

So I have installed the firmware-bnx2x (0.36.wheezy.1)

And It's works !

Thanks !

Add new comment