Harry77's picture

Hello,

I installed the Turnkey Mediawiki Appliance. Works like a charm, except of one thing. The connection get's refused for the first request after the server is inactive for a minute or two.

This is reproducable. This seems to happen before the Apache services get's the request (because there is no log record). I can reproduce this also on shell with telnet to port 80. The first telnet (after 1-2 minutes inactivity) is immediately refused. The second try direct afterwards is in every case a success.

Well this hinders me to use this appliance productive ;)

I hope someone of you has a hint to me.

PS: I configured a static IP.

Regards,

Harry

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

And where are you accessing it from (LAN or internet). Do have you got any tricky firewalling/proxy config or anything? What about other networking components/issues...?

I ask because I can not reproduce this running as an OVZ container (on Proxmox) nor via the Hub.

Admittedly I didn't leave it that long when I was testing via the Hub, but I have left my PVE instance 10mins and it responds straight away (via HTTP or SSH)!

Harry77's picture

Hi Jeremy,

I've downloaded the OVZ container and installed it on a ESX 5.5 server. This server runs other productive webservers as well, but I experienced never something similar or any issues with networking. I also operate no special firewalls in my local networ (where I face the issue)

However, I planned to provide you access so that you can see the problem. Therefore I had to change the default port from 80 to 8080, because port 80 is already used by a reverse proxy on internet side. And running Mediawiki on port 8080 fixed the issue!!! What is ok, because I do not need to run it on 80.

But if I change it back to port 80 I continue facing the problem again, but not on port 8080. Strange...

Regards,

Harry

Jeremy Davis's picture

My first guess would be an IP conflict (i.e. 2 computers with the same IP). I have had similar strangeness when I have set a static IP the same as another machine already on the network. Other than that my next guess would be some other networking issue.

Glad you got a workaround sorted though! :)

Harry77's picture

This tip (duplicate IP) was hot! Indeed I had another VM running with a secondary NIC using the same IP and also offered web server on port 80. Maybe that's the reason why it already helped changing the port to 8080...

However thank you very much!

Jeremy Davis's picture

The fact that it worked once you changed the port made me think IP conflict! Good news! :)

Add new comment