Jason van Wyngaard's picture

Hi

New to my VM and did a reboot per the heartbleed recommendation.

After the reboot the dashboard says everything is ok but web management, web shell and all links to my application aren't connecting. Not sure what I'm supposed to do as I would think the application would be down but I could still access the OS.

I'd appreciate some guidance.

Site link: http://aurikbmc.tklapp.com/

App link: http://aurikbmc.tklapp.com/admin/

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Try using the public IP (instead of the domain name) and see if that works... I have found that sometimes the DNS takes a while to update. Google DNS (8.8.8.8) is quite fast but some other DNS providers (particularly ones provided by ISPs) can be really slow.

Actually FWIW it's working for me now...

IMO if you intend to use in production, it's worth the extra $$ to get an elastic IP (pretty much like a static IP) so that you won't ever get that problem...

Hi Jeremy

I realised after interrogating the console output. Got this error:

Starting web server: apache2[Tue May 06 10:34:56 2014] [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/phpmyadmin at line 3 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
[Tue May 06 10:34:56 2014] [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf at line 3 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName

So will use the IP to access the server. Not 100% sure what the error means but will research further.

When you say it's working for you now are you indicating that the hostname is working?

Kind regards

Jason

Jeremy Davis's picture

Although http://aurikbmc.tklapp.com/ doesn't quite look right (there is obviously a pic missing... maybe that's all it is?)

BTW on the warnings you are getting:

[warn] The Alias directive in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/phpmyadmin at line 3 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

That sounds like you might have another site enabled (all enabled sites are in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled) that clashes with the phpMyAdmin configured site. You can safely ignore that unless of course you want to use phpMyAdmin.

[warn] The Alias directive in /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf at line 3 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

This is the same as above. All the sites listed in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ are symlinks. Most are links to conf files in /etc/apache2/sites-available although not always... If you want to see where they link to use the command:

ls -la /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

Finally:

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName

Is a common warning which you can safely ignore. If you'd like to fix it anyway you should be able to find an easy fix via googling something like "debian fix Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName"

Hi

There is definitely something wrong with the name resolution of the server. Ever since I rebooted links to my site work less than half the time. where do I find documentation on dyndns, elastic IP's and testing name resolution issues?

Kind regards

Jason

Jeremy Davis's picture

It has been consistently working for me (although I probably haven't been checking it as much as you...). I also did some nslookups (using a few different online services - using a few different public DNS servers - including google and opendns) and all searches consistently return the same (working) IP (54.72.123.0) for me.

What DNS are you using when you are trying to contact the site? Perhaps try manually setting Google Public DNS (on your PC and/or your router). If you are using Windows I'd also try flushing the local DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns). Also might be worth restarting your router (they often cache DNS).

The HubDNS (which I assume you mean rather than dyndns) docs are here (which also links to the source code and the announcement blog post (which contains a fair bit of info).

Amazon have info about Elastic IPs here, and some more here. Some more general AWS IP relevant info is here.

If you are on a Linux PC then I suggest installing dnsutils for troubleshooting DNS resolution. No doubt there are Windows and Mac equivalents (google will probably help you out).

Add new comment