I'm using TKLDev 13 and have successfully made my first appliance (getting ready to do its first production deployment).  However one last thing I want to look at is the kernel.  Most of my deployments will be on VMware ESXi 5.x, however I am likely to have a couple on Hyper-V 2012 R2.  I see TKLDev is installing kernel 3.2.  I want to use a newer kernel for better Hyper-V support (at least 3.12 if possible).

I see kernel 3.14 is in wheezy-backports.  I wasn't sure how to install from it using the plan, if that's even possible, so what I did was put wheezy-backports in the overlay and in a conf.d script (based on this and this):

apt-get update
apt-get -yt wheezy-backports install linux-image-686-pae

However I get a dependency error when the kernel installs.  It's dependent upon the actual kernel package, which it says isn't configured yet.  This was unexpected because I did not get any errors when installing the kernel in the sandbox.

I suppose I could install just the image, but I want it to update automatically when I build the appliance.  I suppose I could just install the kernel on the deployments that need it, but my thought was to just use the later kernel for everything.

Is this even the best approach for installing it?

Forum: 

I have confirmed that the above works fine on the system AFTER it has been installed in Hyper-V 2012 R2.  The system is running 3.14-0.bpo.1-686-pae, the non-legacy network adapter is working fine, everybody's happy.

Not sure why it breaks during build doing the same thing.  Thoughts/opinions?

Liraz Siri's picture

It's hard to tell what exactly is going on. I understand what you're trying to do but the reason it's not working, like most bugs, is probably highly dependent on specific details.

Precise details on how you've tried to implement this and how the build fails (output of the error message) may help us get to the bottom of this issue.

In the meantime, I went through the source code to find an example of how we install a package from backports. Take a look at the TurnKey Canvas source code. We install redis-server from wheezy-backports there. The same technique will probably work for the kernel.

Add new comment