I could use some help from anyone. I have a Fileserver Appliance running Turnkey 12.1. It has been much customized to run as Media server with Twonky 7.0.11 Special. I even tricked it out with Webmin 1.690 and a really great Webmin Theme called Metal. It just looks great and runs great too! I have a 32gb Samsung SSD with the OS on it and 2-1.5tb drives with Linux RAID1. It took me forever to Migrate this thing from 11.3 and some many steps I could not document them all. (Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have but it would have been a 2 page essay!). The data is safe and backed up on another server that is not the issue. I've tried what I thought was a better way that was using a TKLBAM backup of the server to restore it to a clean install of Turkey 13.0 Fileserver appliance. I guess I'm not getting something here because it leaves me with a server that has unreachable Webmin. Then I installed Webmin 1.70 from WEB Shell only to find the system is running (Debian 6.0) Turnkey 12.1 again :-(. I guess I'm in over my head. I'm no expert at Linux but have learned a lot from using Turnkey and getting down in the trenches with it to make it my own but would like to see an easy way to Migrate to the latest release. This server is a hobby so I love to tinker with it but don't want to lose my hard work thus far. The server is only accessible to my local network for the sole reason of being a file and Media server. I want to learn how to properly use the Backup and Migration features in Turnkey I just need someone to point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get me started using this feature. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

civilmann

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Firstly my suspicion is that a clash between the TurnKey package management installed Webmin and your custom updated Webmin is the reason why you are having issues with Webmin. As a general rule removing your custom Webmin (and any other 'naughty' things you've done) prior to doing TKLBAM would be advised. Although your updated Webmin should have fixed it.

IIRC there was a bug that TKLBAM backups included some name data that it shouldn't so that a TKLBAM restored system (backup from v12.x installed on 13.x) results in the v13.x system reporting that it was still Debian Squeeze. I suspect that that is what is happening. To double check run this:

uname -r

And it should report something similar to this (this is the result from my Wheezy laptop - note that this is the kernel version):

3.2.0-4-amd64

Another thing that you could check is the sources list. You will find it (them) in /etc/apt/spurces.list.d/ (the main one should probably be called sources.list i.e.: /etc/apt/spurces.list.d/sources.list). It should look something like this:

deb http://archive.turnkeylinux.org/debian wheezy main

deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian wheezy main
deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian wheezy contrib
deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian wheezy non-free

Note all the mentions of 'wheezy' (and no sign of 'squeeze').

Otherwise, if you are still actually still on Squeeze then have a look at this blog post for some other options...

Jeremy,

Thanks for the help. You were right. I tried it again and this time after installing the latest Webmin 1.72 there was a button at the bottom that I noticed at the bottom of the Webmin page. I can't remember the exact wording but it was something to the effect of your system is running Debian 7.0 click here to update so I clicked it and all is good! So it was really running Wheesy all along. I got my Metal theme back as it I had it backed up on another server. Now my only issues is getting Twonky newest version 7.3 running right. The Twonky support is thin right now as they are going to a major SDK cloud based overhaul of their software. It look like the Linux server support is going to disappear. I hope in the future that TKLBAM will back up more things like custom 'naughty' things I've done or will do in the future. That’s the fun of it isn't it to make it your own?

Civilmann

Jeremy Davis's picture

FWIW I have heard about Twonky but never actually used it myself. If they are not continuing with a Linux version, then perhaps there is an alternative? Personally I find AlternativeTo quite useful - check this link out for other software that might be worth a look...

As for TKLBAM supporting 'naughty' things. It does already (if you configure it to with overrides). Just be aware though that you may potentially open up a can of worms (which may have unintended consequences in the future and break things)! It might not too, but it's probably important IMO for you to be aware of the potential consequences.

If you want a later version of Webmin than TurnKey includes, and you want it to be included in your TKLBAM backup, then you are probably better off removing the TurnKey version (apt-get remove webmin) and then install the newer version (rather than putting it over the top...). So long as you don't install it to a 'naughty' place then including it in your TKLBAM backup config (with an override) should have no negative consequence at all. That process will probably be a learning process in and of itself! :)

Personally if I were to do that I'd muck around with a disposable Core VM and document as you go. Then once you have it working perfect (including backup and restore to a new VM), then do it to you main server... Might be more effort than it's worth to you though! :) If you do go that path, it'd be great if you shared your notes as others may have an interest too.

Also for reference; when I say 'naughty' places, I am talking about places that by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) should be read only by users (e.g. the /usr directory tree - as a general rule only dpkg and other tools should be editing files there - with some exceptions). For more info see Wikipedia or the Debian wiki.

Add new comment