Imo's picture

Hi! I updated my server by changing the repositories. Everything works except the turnkey linux repository. Whenever I change it to jessie, it gives and error of not finding the link. Is archive.turnkey.org still in wheezy or jessie and if it is in jessie, how can I ensure it has an error free update?

Imo

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I just checked the sources.list of a v14.0RC1 TKLDev instance I have running and it's:
deb http://archive.turnkeylinux.org/debian jessie main

Definitely working here...

Imo's picture

Thanks for your help. It works now!

Jeremy Davis's picture

I'd be interested to hear how it went for you...
Imo's picture

Thanks Jeremy.... It works fine. However, I have one more question..... does it work for 32 bit? or is it just made for 64bit OS?

Jeremy Davis's picture

As I said in the blog post we are focused on the 64 bit build at this stage. We have not totally ruled out doing 32 bit as well, but it isn't our priority. TBH even if we do also include 32 bit, I don't see it happening before we release v14.0.

I hope that's not too much of a deal breaker for you...

Are you working on really old hardware? Or are you just maintaining an old TurnKey server?

Imo's picture

No, it's okay :) the 32bit is just my personal fileserver which runs on .... wait for it.... PII with 256mb RAM (yeah, it's that old!). For production, the 64 bit is excellent (even with some clients I serve). The 32bit runs fine and I have never had any problems with it. Had it for 6 years now and it runs great, fast and efficiently.

Already upgraded the core to debian jessie and it went flawlessly and Turnkey makes it easier to manage my fileserver by giving me what I need and what I don't need. With your recommendation, I was able to upgrade the workservers.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Jeremy Davis's picture

That's awesome that TKL is keeping that old machine going...

I was going to suggest that you just keep it running on Wheezy. Wheezy is a little lighter on resources anyway and with the success of Squeeze LTS it seems like an almost sure thing that Wheezy will go LTS too (giving you ~5yrs before you'd need to consider an upgrade). Also I think that the LTS team are in negotiations with the Security team to take over the 'security' repo once Wheezy goes into LTS (so no sources.list changes are required to keep getting LTS security updates). But it sounds like I'm a little too late for that now! :)

I must say that I'm also interested to hear that the fileserver appliance keeps ticking along flawlessly following your upgrade. Have you tested it much? In Jessie it's now Samba4 and I was anticipating some changes (and perhaps prblems) there. How did you deal with the config changes?

Imo's picture

I don't really use samba that deeply. Most of my computers run GNU/Linux and the windows XP machine I have runs on virtualbox (Don't see the point of having an OS I rarely use on a bare metal). My Original Xbox which runs xbmc4xbox uses samba (That's the only one I use samba heavily for my movies, TV shows, music and comics). The only "slow" perfomance I have is not from the fileserver itself but from the xbox, since it is limited and can't play HD videos. The fileserver stays on 24/7. The only time I take it down is either to install a new Hard Drive or clean it. So far, NFS runs fine, webmin runs fine and Samba as well. I didn't use the fileserver option. I used the core appliance and added some bits and pieces. I do regular updates and webmin updates. The fileserver appliance runs great on my clients server - They have the 64bit version of turnkey which is what I recommend to them. I didn't find the need to install the fileserver appliance when all it does is storage and backups.

All in all, it runs like a beast and doesn't give any problems at all. The problems I have is when I encounter a bad hard drive. OS wise, it keeps going and going! -Oh and before I forget, the drive that Turnkey Linux is installed on is a 20GB IDE drive!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks! :)

Add new comment