DisFanJen's picture

Ok,

Before I start I'm going to say that it's been ages since I touched any form of Linux distro, so this could well be me doing something silly, but it seems like the Apache Webmin section isn't actually changing anything.

it started like this.  After doing a fresh install, I wanted to keep the little frontpae with the webmin, shell in a box, etc. links.  It's a dev server and nobody else will be able to access it so it's no security risk.

Now obviously I didn't want it sitting on port 80 as that's where I want my dev server, so I went into webmin, Server, Apache WebServer, into the Virtual Server's Server Options, then down to Virtual Server Details and changed the port to something up the scale (can't remember what number right now, but that's not really relevant).

Anyhoo, one Apache restart later and the server is still on port 80.

On the off chance it was caching I changed the name of index.php as a test and then the server showed me the directoy contents.  So it was definitely still serving files on port 80.

I went back in and checked, definitely saying it's on the new port.  I tried changing it again, no dice.  Finally I copied out the files then told webmin to delete the server.

Well guess what?  That's right, it's still there on port 80.

At this point I haven't a clue.

If needs be I can start manually editing apache2.conf as the only thing Ican think of is that webmin just isn't doing what it says it is but that sort of blows the reason for putting turnkey on the box out of the water.

So, any ideas?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

TBH I don't use Webmin much; but for adding ports; when you want Apache to listen on an alternate/additional port then you actually have to explicitly tell it to listen on that port (as well as adjusting the virtualhost). I'm pretty sure that this applies to Webmin too. I don't recall where but I think there is a separate page/tab for declaring ports. If you want to do it manually; add "Listen 8080" (or whatever port) to /etc/apache2/ports.conf and restart apache.

As for the removal not applying; TBH I haven't tested that scenario. Perhaps it won't actually remove the site if it's the only one configured? Also did you restart? Also I'd check/test that it's not just your browser caching (I often use incognito/private browsing for a quick check/test of stuff like that).

Also for running the "TKLWebCP" as we call it (aka "web control panel" aka landing page, etc). I guess it depends on you intended usage, but maybe an easy way to move it would be to just rename it. I.e.

mv /var/www/index.php /var/www/panel.php
Then it should be available on http://<your-ip>/panel.php
DisFanJen's picture

Yup, I think I'm going to go down the route you suggested and just move the file and keep the running server for the work.

I did a lot of messing around trying to get it to work though, so I think I'll revert to a vanilla copy just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I must admit, I assumed that if you changed the port for the Virtual server that it'd add everything it needed to work on that port, guess I'm too used to playing with OSX.

Think I'll do it the old fashioned way and just edit the files.  I used to do everything from the command line so it shouldn't be that hard to get back into it. :)

Jeremy Davis's picture

Others have commented about this non-intuitive scenario (needing to also explicitly add the port when a virtual host is added/updated to use a non-standard port). But we don't develop Webmin so we don't have any influence over changing that behaviour...

I do use Webmin occasionally for some stuff; but mostly I actually find using commandline quicker and easier...

Also FWIW TurnKey is Debian under the hood (v13 = Debian 7/Wheezy & upcoming v14 = Debain 8/Jessie)

Add new comment