Hello,

Once again, I need your help. I just hope this is the appropriate place for this. If not, let me know and I'll move the message.

I have set up LAMP on a server, which is also running Postfix. I set postfix to send outgoing mail through a company smtp server over port 25 (relay_host=[smtpserver.company.com]:25). On this server, I have two virtual domains. One is using the hostname of the machine as the fqdn (host.mydomain.com) and the other is using a completely different domain and tld (www.mydomain.org). I have SPToolkit set up  on both domains. When I send an email via SPT on the host using the hostname, the mail sends without issue. However, when I try to send an email via SPT from www.mydomain2.org (virtual host) the email will not send. I have tried setting it up as a virtual domain in Postfix, but that did nothing. I tried adding it to mydestination in main.cf I get no change. I've spent nearly a week researching this and playing arround with the configuration with absolutely no luck. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Here's my main.cf as it currently stands, with names changed. I do not have virtual aliases setup here.

#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=no
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
myhostname = host.mydomain.com
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = host.mydomain.com, localhost.mydomain.com, , localhost
relayhost = [smtpserver.mydomain.com
]:25
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +

Thank you for your help. I can attempt to explain this better if need be. To summarize

Domain one - same as hostname - sends email as expected

Domain two - set up as a virtual host - email from this address will not go out.

BTW, the dns, mx records, etc for domain two have been registered and are active.

Thanks.

Troy

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Are you sure that it's not sending and just being intercepted somewhere?

I would be digging into the logs for ideas on what might be going wrong. If the mail is not sending then the postfix logs (should be in /var/log) should give you good pointers. If nothing there then perhaps check your SMTP logs; perhaps that will shed some light on it?

Add new comment