Sandor D's picture

Hi,

couple of months ago I installed FileServer on a pc. All work alright till recently I wanted to try some backup to (one drive) cloud. In short, I could not get that to work, installed S3QL, but not via webmin. Anyway to make a long story short, in the end none of the users could use the Samba shares anymore. So I decided to reinstall (tried for 2 days to solve the issue but no luck)

I entered the Installer DVD and booted.
Got to the partitioning and choose manual because my partitions are fine, don't want to change them.

But entering the screen gives me:

SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) - 1.0 TB ATA WDC WD10EZEX-08M

> $(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)#4(!TAB)primary$(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)891,3 GB$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)ext4$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)
> $(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)#3(!TAB)primary$(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)88,9 GB$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)ext4$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)
> $(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)#3(!TAB)primary$(!TAB)$(ALIGN=RIGHT)20 GB$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)swap$(!TAB)$(!TAB)$(!TAB)

I can manouvre to the partitions, but hitting enter does nothing. No option to select root filesystem for partition #3

How does this work????

regards Sandor

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

It's fixed in v14.0 but the ISOs are only 64 bit. If your machine supports that then that's what I'd do. Note that it now includes SambaDAV as the web frontend (no longer Ajaxplorer - see changelog). SambaDAV uses Samba/Linux user credentials only.

Be careful installing to your existing HDD though. Make sure all your data is backed up somewhere (not on that drive) just in case something goes wrong...

If you want to stick with v13.0 (or need 32 bit) then unfortunately I don't have an easy answer (beyond adding a new HDD for install - which is a crappy workaround IMO). I'm sure it could be done but I don't want to give you advice when I'm not sure myself.

Off on a tangent, you mentioned backups. Did you know that TurnKey has a built in backup called TKLBAM? It is primarily designed to backup to the cloud but you can congire it to backup locally if you'd rather.

Sandor D's picture

Thanks Jeremy, but unfortunately I'm stuck with 32 bits.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Ok well looks like you'll need to troubleshoot... IME often the best way to do that with Samba is to make a test share and make it totally open (anyone can access with no password) and test. Then progressively lock it down until you get it working how you want. Then replicate those setting to existing shares (modifying as required).
Sandor D's picture

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been trying now for over 30 hours to see where my problem(s) lie. I have a Windows 10 and a Windows 7 client on a (one segment network) DHCP from Modem/Router.

The FileServer does not show in my workgroup (all have the same workgroup), not on the Win 7 nor the Win 10 client. Had an additional (virtual) XP client, but same story.

The Windows boys see eachother perfectly, coming up on my network neighborhood when switched on, and dissapear when switched of.

Tried a complete new Fileserver straight out of the box as a virtual machine. Same story, does not show up (yes I changed the workgroup name)

Funny thing is, this morning I switched all machines on and ploop, Fileserver showed. Was inaccesable, but that's problem number two to tackle.

Tried dozens of smb confs from many many many different sources.

Still no luck. Will try the restart complete computer again (instead of restart Samba server) and see what that will bring me.

Well did that, but no change, Fileserver has offcially dissapeared.......

Jeremy Davis's picture

Apologies on misunderstanding your issue.

Unless you have something pre-configured on your network to handle this it is fairly normal for the server to not magically present itself via name (or for it to do it but intermittently). In my experience with Windows even within a Windows only network the WINS network access by name can be a little flaky (in fairness to Windows the last time I spent much time with Win networking without a DNS server setting the name->IP mapping was on XP).

If you want it to do present itself by name then you will need to check Winbind is installed and configured correctly (IIRC it isn't installed by default). Another option is install something like avahi or zeroconf on the server. There are other options too like setting up a local DNS. DNSmasq is a pretty cool DNS & DHCP server that will do this nicely however you'll need to disable your current DHCP server (otherwise they will clash).

Personally I'd just give your server a static IP and connect via IP address. If you want to connect via name and you'll be doing it from the same computers all the time then you can just edit their hosts files to include the name you give the server...

Then you can tackle the logging in issue...

Add new comment