Jim's picture

Greetings,

I have recently setup and installed a Turnkey Wordpress .iso device and transferred an exsting wordpress site to the server.

Everything appears to be working with the exception that Backupbuddy cannot connect to the external FTP destination (on another server) to transfer the copy of the backup that is created.

This function was working fine prior to transfer to the Turnkey Wordpress device.

Everything I have found in my searches so far either has to do with other FTP issues, or a review that just states it will be very difficult to do.

It kind of looks like this is an FTP client issue rather than an FTP server issue, but I am not versed enough with Turnkey or Linux to be certain.

Has anybody actually gotten backupbuddy to successfully work doing scheduled backups with an offsite/different domain FTP copy?

If so, any hints or instructions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

First thing I would do is check that the server can be contacted from your new TurnKey server. I.e. ping it like this:
ping -c 5 remote.server.com
If that works then perhaps it relies on you having an FTP client installed? We don't include it OOTB as it is insecure and we discourage it's use. If you don't care about the security of your backups then you can install one with:
apt-get update && apt-get install ftp
However, keep in mind that using vanilla FTP in this day and age is a REALLY BAD IDEA! It is totally insecure! Not only can your data be intercepted by any third party, the username and login credentials are also sent in the open so if anyone happens to be listening they can get your credentials. Then who knows what nasty things they might do to your backups? Perhaps include a back door? Or pre-install some malware?

I don't know anything about BackupBuddy but IMO if it doesn't offer any secure way of transmitting your backups (e.g. SFTP - which is already available on TurnKey) then I would urge you to find a new backup tool. FWIW TurnKey includes our own backup system called TKLBAM. It's free (pay your own storage costs) for one TurnKey server.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Definitely sounds like it's not FTP itself then, or at least not on your TKL server's end. IDK if the FTP client keeps a log, if it does it would probably be with all the other system level logs in /var/log.

Perhaps it's worth setting up a cron job to ping the remote server (and maybe google too to rule out your server losing internet access) around the same time as your backup. That may help you troubleshoot?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Do you have admin access to the remote machine? Perhaps it's worth trying to see if that has anything useful in it's logs (if you can see them)?

I don't really know what else I can suggest after that...

Add new comment