Brandon S.'s picture

So, I am having difficulty updating my Jenkins (1.642.4) Installation that came with the TKL 14.1 distribution. When trying to follow the simple update instructions posted here, I encounter a problem in which my 'apt-get update' command fails to run completely, so that aptitude cannot seem to find the most recent version of Jenkins to install it. I have attached a log of my console inputs/outputs, but to summarize: I tried to run the update command and recieved a "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem." error. So I did as instructed and ran the 'dpkg --configure -a' command and recieved several I/O failure related messages and

'dpkg: error processing package linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64'

Being concerned that maybe aptitude did not have a stable connection to the internet, I pinged www.google.com, www.cnn.com, and www.facebook.com to confirm a reliable internet connection.

How can I resolve this? Any help is appreciated.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

It looks suspiciously like a hardware issue to me. Perhaps a failing harddrive? Or some bad RAM (can often cause hard drive corruption). Perhaps it's just got a bad sector?

This one in particular; it looks like it can't write to '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64.new'!

touch: cannot touch '/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64.new': Input/output error

If you don't already have a backup of you system, that's the first thing I'd do! Next I'd do a disk check (i.e. fsck). You'll need to reboot to make it run (it's generally a bad idea to scan mounted disks).

touch /forcefsck
reboot

If the fsck finds and fixes some issues, I'd just retry running apt again. I'd also ensure that you have daily auto backups setup and running (and test them from time to time). It may also be worth checking the smart data from the harddrive. In my experience, smart data rarely gives false positives, but often gives false negatives (i.e. if it says it's bad it's really bad, if it says it's ok it may still be bad). It's probably also worth running something like memtest86+ to check for RAM issues.

If you still have issues after a fsck and the other tests don't show up anything then TBH I'm not really sure... If you keep in mind that under the hood, TurnKey is Debian (v14.x = Jessie) then you may be able to find some info via google?

Add new comment