cvanelli's picture

Hello all, I have installed the excellent Mediaserver app on AWS via the Turnkey Hub. Now I have a question. Is it possible to create a larger EBS volume and attach it to the instance BEFORE the Mediaserver app is deployed? This app has preconfigured the path to store media files. the problem is that by default the space is very small on an AWS micro instance. I can create an EBS volume and mount it to the instance after the deployment, but then it is not mounted in the pre-configured location. I would like to do this when the instance is created so that the media storage is configured on the larger EBS volume from the beginning, but I don't know how to  do that. There is nothing on it yet, so I have no problem starting over.

I am new to the Turnkey Hub and AWS, so any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Chris

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for your feedback on our Mediaserver appliance. I'm really glad you are liking it! :)

When you launch the server from the Hub, you should be able to define the size of the root volume. Micro defaults to a 10GB root volume, but you should be able to specify any size you desire.

On the launch new server page, the first box under "Advanced configuration" should be "Root file system size (GB)". As noted, for Micro servers that defaults to 10GB, fopr all other server sizes it defaults to 20GB.

Alternatively, if you wish to use a separate/additional AWS volume for storage of your media, you could add that to your server and mount it to the desired location. Unfortunately, the Hub doesn't currently allow you to do that, so you would need to create and add the volume to your server using the AWS console. Then within your server, you can partition and format it; then mount it to the desired place. Once it works as you want, you can add the new volume to your fstab (so it's auto mounted at boot). IIRC the default storage location is /srv/storage.

Hope that helps. If you need more details please ask and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Add new comment