Hank's picture

i am testing out TKL's bugzilla installation.

with the server working proper, total space taken was under 5gb.

i have nothing "extra" installed in the server beyond TKL bugzilla + testopia.

i then activated TKLBAM + AWS S3. my backup size is 4.3gb.

i had problems testing a restore because i ran out of space (it stopped at 19+ GB because my assigned hdd space is 20gb).

the server crashed and bugzilla wouldn't work anymore. foolishly, i deleted the first rollback created by TKLBAM because i needed the space.

i increased my hdd limit and successfully restored the backup i made a few days ago (i think it was successful anyway - time will tell).

i believe the restore process took up over 30gb. it eventually went down to about 15gb.

i deleted the rollback directory (because the rollback is the "bad" one which was incomplete) and the server now takes up over 12gb.

my question is - what gives? i started at less than 5gb and now it takes up over 12gb.

as i have to work with a 20gb limit, does this mean i am unable to ouse tklbam unless i have 5x in free hdd space for whatever amount i'm occupying?

the contents of /var/backups do not seem to take up much space.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    13K Oct  4 22:12 apt.extended_states.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   339K Feb  2 04:33 dpkg.status.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan 30 04:29 dpkg.status.1.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan 26 04:14 dpkg.status.2.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan 15 04:09 dpkg.status.3.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan 11 04:09 dpkg.status.4.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan  6 04:38 dpkg.status.5.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   104K Jan  5 04:36 dpkg.status.6.gz
-rw------- 1 root root    582 Feb  4 18:22 group.bak
-rw------- 1 root shadow  482 Oct 16  2013 gshadow.bak
-rw------- 1 root root    988 Feb  4 18:22 passwd.bak
-rw------- 1 root shadow  716 Oct  4 22:05 shadow.bak

where on earth are the files/directories taking up 7+gb?

hank.

Forum: 
Hank's picture

i took a chance and deleted /var/cache/tklbam/restore

du shows:

Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/<deleted>   50G  5.6G   42G  12% /
tmpfs               77M   48K   77M   1% /run
tmpfs              5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs              308M     0  308M   0% /run/shm

and

4.2G    /var/www/bugzilla/file
4.3G    /var/www/bugzilla
4.3G    /var/www
4.7G    /var
5.6G    /

in any case, i think i'll take what i can get. i'm very grateful for the guys on here, and everyone involved with developing TKL.

a donation seems to be in order!

Jeremy Davis's picture

And even deleting the backup cache won't be the end of the world. However AFAIK, the backup cache is used to calculate the incremental backups. So if you delete that, it will probably just do another full backup.

The reason why it's taking up so much space is a combo of the way that it works plus the data your backing up.

Perhaps if I explain how TKLBAM works, it might make more sense?

When you do a backup, it creates a temp dir where it caches all the files it thinks should be in your backup. In the case of a fresh install, that will be <~10MB. In your case it was probably closer to 4.3GB (judging from what you've posted). It then needs to compress that and assuming it doesn't compress all that well, then perhaps that takes up another 2GB (so with your original data, we're up to ~12GB).

When you restore, it does more-or-less the opposite. Downloads the compressed archive (guessing ~2GB). It then decompresses it (~4.3GB). So again we're up to 2x your original system (actually a little more). But to allow for rollback, it needs to cache the files that will be overwritten. So that's where the extra copy comes from, making your server contain ~3x original data.

In your case it seems not quite ideal, but FWIW a backup with 4.3GB of (uncompressed) data is pretty huge by general TKLBAM standards...!

You mention that you have installed "Testopia" as well. I know nothing about that, but perhaps things might work better for you if you split the backups into a Bugzilla one and a Testopia one? It may take a little work to ensure everythings working as it should, but it is certainly possible. See this FAQ for some hints... You may also find this one of value/interest.

Another thought is that seeing as you know that you'll need extra space for a restore, you could add an extra volume at restore time and mount it to /var/cache/tklbam/restore when you do the restore.

Add new comment