Manuel G's picture

Hi,

I just installed "turnkey-core-11.1-lucid-x86" on ESXi 4.0 via OVF. I executed all automatic updates during first boot.

Now, the vSphere Client shows that the VMware Tools are "not running". A restart did not change this.

apt-get tells me that "vmware-tools is already the newest version".

I'd appreciate any hints what I am doing wrong to get VMware Tools running.

Finally I have to mention that I adjusted following parameters before 1st boot:
- 2 vCPU
- 4 GB RAM
- 40 GB HDD

Thanks in advance,
Manuel

Forum: 
Jeremiah's picture

I'm pretty sure I noticed that too.  If I remember correctly VMware tools was running after installing the TurnKey appliance but after I upgraded all packages it was no longer running.

This is somewhat a shot in the dark but do we have to rebuild anything VMware related because of kernel upgrades?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

cmoman's picture

Any resolution here.  Got a very similar situation.

root@proxy # service vmware-tools start

start: Job failed to start.

Vanilla install of Mediawiki but have the vmxnet3 NIC in use on a vmware Esxi4.1.0 system

root@proxy /dev# dpkg -l | grep vmware
ii  vmware-tools                        8.4.5-324285turnkey+2+gbc2daab VMWare Tools
ii  vmware-tools-kmod-2.6.32-27-virtual 8.4.5-324285turnkey+2+gbc2daab VMWare Tools modules for linux-virtual (2.6.32-27-virtu

EDIT:

Solved by removing vmware-tools.

Installed build-essential and the linux kernel headers and mounted the ISO that comes with ESXi4.1 to manual build the modules.

The installers complains that some version of vmwaretools has been installed and won't install untll you run the uninstaller.  The is not uninstaller so I went an manually removed every file or directory containing the text "vmware" . Ugly I know. The installer didn't complain after that and vmtools compiled and installed correctly.  In future I'm not going to bother with the special vmware images.

Shutdown VM. Remove normal ethernet adaptater and recreated network card using the VMXNET3 and all good to go.

Michael Heča's picture

There is no package vmware-tools-kmod for update kernel. Copy vmware kernel modules to new kernel 

cp -a /lib/modules/2.6.32-36-generic-pae/misc /lib/modules/2.6.32-41-generic-pae/

and reboot.

Add new comment