mgmyers's picture

I am having a nagging problem with the TKL-Wordpress appliance.  I downloaded the latest version and installed it on my VMware ESXi 5.1.0 server.  There were a few steps that I had to go through, but I got it running without much difficulty.  Networking was the biggest hitch, and I ended up deleting the NIC and recreating it, which seemed to solve the issue I was having.  The server is now accessible externally (off the local network), and all the features (Wordpress, Webmin, phpAdmin, Shell, etc.) work as expected.

However, after some period of time (usually <10 minutes), the web server stops responding.  I can ping the server externally, and Apache is still running, but cannot be accessed from a web browser.  If I ping from the server console to an external site, after a brief but noticeable pause, pings respond.  After this action I can once again access the web server externally for another 10 or 15 minutes until I have to start the process all over again.

I have checked and re-checked the VM ware config, looked at the /etc/network/interfaces file (which had an extra entry from the original NIC I deleted), and looked in the logs, but I don't see any errors that point to what the problem might be.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

--Mark

Forum: 
mgmyers's picture

For everyone's benefit, I am happy to report that the issue I was having with TKL appliance and VMware turned out to be a bad IP issued by my hosting provider.  I had the provider assign two new IPs, which I assigned to a 'fresh' TKL LAMP setup, and it works fine now.

I did find that, for me at least, the TKL ISO worked better than the VM on VMware ESXi.  I beefed up the hardware a bit, installed from the ISO, and I didn't have any issues.  If setting up by adding the VM I had to delete and then add the network interface, then do some editing to the interfaces file to get things to work.  Installing from the ISO worked better.

During my troubleshooting I must have installed CentOS 5/6 and Ubuntu 12 a dozen times, and every time I came back to wanting to use TKL as my base server install.  

--Mark

Add new comment