czimon.tracks's picture

Hello, 

I'm totally new to Turnkey Linux (or any distribution of Linux for that matter) so I really need the help here. :)

Anyway, I'm using Turnkey Linux LAMP and I'm trying to compile mod_xml2enc for Apache 2. Problem is, I keep getting the error below:

/usr/share/apr-1.0/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile --tag=disable-static i486-linux-gnu-gcc -prefer-pic -DLINUX=2 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/apr-1.0 -I/usr/include/openssl -I/usr/include/xmltok -pthread     -I/usr/include/apache2  -I/usr/include/apr-1.0   -I/usr/include/apr-1.0  -I/usr/lib/libxml2 -I.  -c -o mod_xml2enc.lo mod_xml2enc.c && touch mod_xml2enc.slo

/usr/share/apr-1.0/build/libtool: line 970: i486-linux-gnu-gcc: command not found

apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536

This appears after I run this command:
apxs2 -c -I/usr/lib/libxml2 -I. -i mod_xml2enc.c

At first I thought it was a problem with missing packages. So installed apache2-prefork-dev and apache2-threaded-dev. (I got this idea from searching multiple sources.)

I've been at it for almost the whole day now and I think I've exhausted the searching powers of google, so I'm really desperate. 

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'd appeciate the help. 
Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

And sure enough I got the same error. But looking at the error message my first guess would be that as the libtool "command [is] not found" you are probably missing a dependancy.

I installed libtool (apt-get install libtool) and the error message changes. Now it is complaining that the file mod_xml2enc.c is not found. I'm assuming that you have that file so hopefully it will work for you. If not I found the source code on the Apache site here.

I ran out of time and so I haven't played further but hopefully that will get you over the line.

Good luck.

czimon.tracks's picture

Hey Jeremy, 

Thanks for the help. It did the trick! 

Jeremy Davis's picture

Glad I could help :)

Jeremy Davis's picture

This thread is really old. In the current v15.x TKL LAMP appliance, you should only need to enable the xml2enc module, like this (assuming logged in as root):

a2enmod xml2enc
service apache2 restart

And you should be good to go...

Add new comment